colt lightning

johnnylo

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
291   0   0
Location
ONTARIO
Does anyone have a Colt lightning?

I read that 38 special rounds are the same specs as 38 long colt and can be used for it but must be loaded for a lower pressure.

I am thinking about importing one but am new to reloading so want to see what I am getting into, are cases the same or do I have to trim them...

any input...

edited
just realized this cal is on the bad list will have to look at 41LC
 
Last edited:
They are fairly close, and probably the reason they are on the no-go list as you discovered.

Colt 1877 revolvers are fragile guns and parts are hard to come by. I've owned a couple.
 
Supposibly the 1877 colts are deemed to have "the worst double action mechanism ever invented".

Very pretty guns but I don't want a gun that breaks when I handle it.
 
.38 Colt Lightning

"I'm your Huckleberry ...!"

I've got a beautiful nickle plated 'Lightning' in .38 Colt made in 1877, 1st year of production. Looks like 'Doc Holliday's' gun in "Wyatt Earp" (Tombstone?).
I cut down .38 Spl. brass for it. Haven't fired it yet. Loaded up both smokeless and BP loads.
I found different lengths for .38 Colt ammo in various references, so I compromised and split the difference.

Recently I tried to 'antique' it with predictable results. What horse####! If it was in .41 Colt, no problem.
Mine is mechanically perfect, but knowing their rep, I will not fire it in DA mode.
 
Back
Top Bottom