Colt Model 1889

I know they are, and I really, really want one too. The issue is cost and limited options/availablity. Ideally I want a revolver ( SA or DA) in a cartridge thats somewhat available and ideally not too expensive ( gun or ammo). A Colt SAA in .38spl would be ideal, but the cost is insane.

Hate to bust in on a Colt thread, but a Webley in .45ACP + basic reloading equipment is just the way to go, there's not much that can fire smokeless factory loads.

The components are cheap because .45 is common.
 
I'm new to antiques and may be missing something here. But those sound like crazy prices, driven up by the restrictive Canadian market. One might end up with an unregistered "antique" shooter, but what is the true collector value? Modifications likely destroy much of the intrinsic value of the pistol. And what happens to the resale value of the gun if and when the CFC adds .38 special to the non-antique list? You might have a $200 gun.

Why not just buy something that qualifies as an antique without modifications in another caliber such as .455 or .44? Brass and bullets are readily available in those calibers.

Those prices are mainly correlated to Colt SAAs. Most of these gun prices are dictated by the larger US market and I don't see them getting any cheaper even if they ended up on a restricted list. Perhaps less desirable but not cheaper. Even modified "non original" Colt SAA in the US market are spendy(at typically 1/2 value of non messed with guns).
 
Back
Top Bottom