colt pocket revolvers - .32 cal chambers???

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
From my understanding, 1849 colt pocket revolvers are supposed to be .31 caliber. However... both my colts mic to .32 caliber. The chambers on both cylinders mic in at 7 at .320, 2 at .321 and 1 at .323.

The bore on the good one mics to .320 and the other mics to .322. The bores have good rifling and one has very strong sharp rifling. My mold casts its balls at .311 consistantly with pure lead. The balls drop into the chambers and on the one gun, can roll from the cylinder and down the barrel if shaken.


So.... this makes me wonder, did colt make oversized bullet molds for their guns?

Also - can we buy .32 cal bullets or 32 cal molds from anywhere? I'll try any sort of cast bullets that would fit a colt pocket. Any recommendations at all.
 
Last edited:
If you are talking about percussion guns, they shoot round ball maybe 10 thou over chamber diameter. Jeff Tanner sells round ball molds for around $40 in any caliber so order one to cast .330 balls

cheers mooncoon
 
I thought the 1849 Pocket Colt is a 5 shot cylinder???
It might not be very accurate but how about using a cloth patch around the ball to take up the space??
Would really like to see some pictures of your Pocket Colts.
 
Yes, you would be correct - Me and math are not close friends... barely even associates. Was looking at a manhattan six shot revolver while typing so I said six and didn't do the numbers.

Here's some of the family. Some have moved on, some have stayed
a796e3f7.jpg
 
Yes, you would be correct - Me and math are not close friends... barely even associates. Was looking at a manhattan six shot revolver while typing so I said six and didn't do the numbers.

Here's some of the family. Some have moved on, some have stayed
a796e3f7.jpg

Wally that Manhattan is a nice looking revolver!!
 
Those're both colt 1849's I believe, or I was sold it as one :p The rougher one is definitely a colt based on markings, and the smoother one is identical and interchangeable in any of the parts I've tried. The manhattan referred to was online :p I had been unaware they were available in 6 shot, hence my slip up. One day this summer I'll need to put out some proper antique percussion p0rn for everyone.

Coincidentally, if anyone wants to sell me a nipple wrench for colt percussion nipples that'll speed up the process ;)
 
Track of the Wolf has nipple wrenches for your guns.... part # NW-130 for $6.99 they also have replacement nipples....takes about 10 days to have them shipped.
 
I've been in contact with them, but they weren't sure if the nipples they had would fit the original colts. I guess I'll need to do two orders in the end :p

Apparently they've got a setup for making their own nipples now too, and it's relatively affordable, so I'm thinking I may get them to make up a batch of 1849 nipples that take a no11 percussion cap instead of whatever smaller cap the colts use now. I can always just pinch my no11 caps too :p
 
I've been in contact with them, but they weren't sure if the nipples they had would fit the original colts. I guess I'll need to do two orders in the end :p

Apparently they've got a setup for making their own nipples now too, and it's relatively affordable, so I'm thinking I may get them to make up a batch of 1849 nipples that take a no11 percussion cap instead of whatever smaller cap the colts use now. I can always just pinch my no11 caps too :p

Wally, if you need nipples and wrenches for your old colt, you send a email to Dixie gun works, tell them what you have and they will get you the info you need.

These guys have been around for a looooong time they have what you need.

They even have new grip wood;) historically correct ball molds AND presentation boxes.

All of it at a really good price, the folks at Dixie are really knowledgeable and HELPFULL which is rare these days.

Again let me say you have a beautiful historic iorn there!! Has me envious!
 
Thanks! Colt pockets are about the only antiques that I can afford, and I've got a thing for these little 30 cal pocket guns :D


Until you mentioned that Dixie had all that stuff, I'd never even known that Dixie had their products online.... is it just me or is it easy to miss the whole "general merchandise" section if you don't know it's there???


Thing is, other than mooncoon's molds by Jeff Tanner, I can't seem to find any .32 cal ball molds out there that don't cost less than $50-$80! I have trouble accepting that when I could just shoot frozen peas out of the gun :p
 
I recently bought a .45 cal Kentucky rifle and had .454 balls on hand for a revolver. The .454 balls were too big to work in the .45 rifle so I re-sized them by drilling a 7/16 hole in a 1/4 thick piece of steel. After pounding the .454 balls through the hole they were just the right size for a .010 cloth patch in the rifle.
After pounding the ball through it looked more like a bullet and worked pretty good. I have a .440 mold coming but was able to try out the rifle using this low cost re-sizing "die".
 
I tried and I'll be able to patch the .311 balls, but obvously it's not ideal. Ah well, that's the glory of blackpowder guns, you can make, or make do with just about anything :p
 
Haha - I've thought about that. Just fit the mold with a plug, or cut the cast bullets after.

Since my chambers are .320, I'm a bit tempted to try the Lee buckshot mold. It's .330 or thereabouts, and drops 18 balls/casting, which certainly trumps my 2/casting :p

www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=373263
 
Back
Top Bottom