Colt SAA Antique Pics


Will post a few once i get it back. It is with gun smith getting a full inspection and a few very minor repairs that will not affect the condition or value It is about a 8 out of 10 for mechanical function and 6 out of 10 on appearance. No finish but even patina. Non original grips. IMHO beautiful lol
 
Old West Bullet molds They have three or four 44 cal heeled moulds They also have 41 colt and .476 Eley 11mm french and others I believe he also has crimping tools for Heeled bullets aswell Moulds to choose from and no problems shipping to Canada
 
Old West Bullet molds They have three or four 44 cal heeled moulds They also have 41 colt and .476 Eley 11mm french and others I believe he also has crimping tools for Heeled bullets aswell Moulds to choose from and no problems shipping to Canada

Sounds like exactly what I need. Thanks
 
And...

Will post a few once i get it back. It is with gun smith getting a full inspection and a few very minor repairs that will not affect the condition or value It is about a 8 out of 10 for mechanical function and 6 out of 10 on appearance. No finish but even patina. Non original grips. IMHO beautiful lol
 
Colt SAA 44 Rimfire Pic added

Finally got it back. Tried some of the 44 Rimfire ammo I was able to purchase. None would go bang lol not the guns issue just bad ammo. Oh well I still love it!!


IMG_1357.jpg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 156
I'd bet that handgun was made in late 1873 or early 1874. I recall reading that the Colt SAA went to the US government first, before Colt started making them for the civilian market.

Didn't Colt start making the SAA in 45 Colt and 44 Henry Rimfire, before any other calibers?
 
I'd bet that handgun was made in late 1873 or early 1874. I recall reading that the Colt SAA went to the US government first, before Colt started making them for the civilian market.

Didn't Colt start making the SAA in 45 Colt and 44 Henry Rimfire, before any other calibers?

Not sure if it was before other calibres or at the same time. From what I understand the 44 RF SAA was made predominantly for Mexico and majority were shipped south. So not too many made their way back north Apparently only about 1800 were made and a bunch were later converted to 22LR so all of that adds to the rarity.
 
The last two post's peaked my interest so had to dig out my reference's and have a look.

The first 44 RF was ser# 25660 from the regular SAA ser# frames ( it was just plucked from the general mf. lineup and used for the prototype). Colt's called this a "pilot" model and was never shipped, it went directly into the Colts museum until sold to a collector (James A Davis collection) many years later. After the "pilot" #rd gun was made and before any 44 RF were shipped they started a ser # series only for the RF's starting at 1 and continuing until #1863. These guns were manuf. between 1875 and mid 1880's, with shipping continuing thru to1887. The last 107 RF frames designated for the 44 RF were not sold as such but were re-purposed to .22 RF and all .44 markings were over-struck with the .22 designation.

The separate Ser # range that was used for the RF frame indicates that your gun's 3 digit # will not be in the same year range as the CF BP frames that were used in the regular manuf. lineup...still an early & BP frame but not in the 1874-75 era, more to the 78-79 yrs I think.

Another interesting point both references made on the RF's is that none of the .44's left the factory with any kind of .44 RF markings, they were marked only .44 or .44 Colt under the barrel or on the trigger bows. If a Gun has a RF marking on it, it was marked that way by a subsequent dealer (some were known to do this) or so marked on a RF forgery of which there are many known to exist because of the rarity/value of the originals.

Your gun has a replaced wood grip on it and both references indicate that wood was correct and the only grip the RF's were shipped with until the last 107 pieces in .22 were shipped with black plastic. Some of the known specimens in collections have Ivory, horn or pearl handles but were all added after shipping they claim.

The .44 Henry RF and CF combo is a different kettle of fish all together than the .44 RF., they are in the regular Ser # range use in all CF manuf. ( in the 1875-77 era as far as I can make out) There were only 20 ever made and I would suspect if you were lucky enough to have one of these instead of the regular RF's, you could retire on the proceeds.
 
Thanks for the info, that is more than I have been able to research. The only caliber markings I can find is the number 44 on the underside of the barrel. all other markings are worn off. Can only read partial barrel address too. I have given up on trying to shoot the gun and may put it up for sale shortly as there is a colt collector out there that would love to have it more than me lol
 
Back
Top Bottom