Colt SAA Barrel Length Preference?

Your Favourite SAA Barrel Length?

  • 7 1/2"

    Votes: 4 12.1%
  • 5 1/2"

    Votes: 16 48.5%
  • 4 5/8"

    Votes: 13 39.4%

  • Total voters
    33

Ardent

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
818   0   2
Leaving out Shopkeepers, Sheriff's models, and customs, out of the three standard lengths which do you prefer?

I used to be a 4 5/8" lover, svelte and trim, but now prefer the lines of the 5 1/2". I had a 7 1/2" .455 Colt as well that really warmed me to the original barrel length. However, if forced to choose I'd rank them 5 1/2" 1st, 4 5/8" 2nd, and 7 1/2" 3rd. All are great however.

I think I just like the 5 1/2" because it looks a little more stereotypically SAA, like a more convenient original. I also value the smidge of extra sight radius in what is still an easy to handle package. My first was a 5 1/2", then a pair of 4 5/8", a 7 1/2", and now I'm back to where I began at 5 1/2".

d2118d78.jpg
 
The eternal question! So many pros to each that it is impossible to answer (notice no cons). A friend once asked me this same question when he was on the verge of a re barrel. Thought it around in circles for hours and days. The only solution is to have all three in a nice oak box with all the sights regulated to the same load. Shoot em and carry them real regular like on a roatating basis for about a decade and then on the eleventh year you could decide.

or just go 5.5 inches.......
 
I now have two 5 1/2 inch SAA clones the top one is a .44 cap and ball which I shoot black powder with and the bottom one I re-load either BP or smokeless .45 Colt. I didn't really choose the barrel length... the guns presented themselves for sale in this configuration and I had to have them. I have heard that cowboy action shooters like the shorter barrels as they clear the holster faster but the longer ones are probably more accurate.

Two1873s004.jpg
 
Leaving out Shopkeepers, Sheriff's models, and customs, out of the three standard lengths which do you prefer?

Well I have all 3 lenghts and I like all 3. The 5 1/2 is very popular and a good compromise! Personally I prefer the 4 3/4 (not 4 5/8) because I use them mostly from a holster..and they are faster to draw and well balanced!
OK
P2190016.jpg

P2190013.jpg
 
4.75" is my favourite but I like 5.5" almost as much. 7.5" is a bit unwieldy but quite practical for hunting and general use. The extra 2+ inches of sight radius makes quite a difference for longer range shooting.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom