Colt SAA cylinders source?

kevinh

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Location
Toronto, CANADA
There was recently a Colt Saa for sale in .45 acp. And now still on the first page is similar colt in .455 webley. How difficult would it be to convert the .455 into .45acp?

Can one purchase an original colt saa in the states in .45 colt and have it adapted to discharge the .45 acp, then have it imported through the proper means. Or is the word designed in the criminal code crucial. The portion of text in question,
"manufactured before 1898 that can discharge centre-fire cartridges, other than a handgun designed or adapted to discharge"


I am asking because I am considering a purchase as well looking all over the web
for a .45 acp colt saa.


Oh and last but not least, if you have a choice of a 1875 Remington in .45acp or a colt 4 3/4 inch saa in .455 webley (basically the two pistols Dingus is selling right now) which one. This will be my first antique purchase.
:runaway:

Cheers and Thanks in advance.
 
I just went through this with a SAA in .44-40. I purchased it in Louisiana and now went through the hoops to bring it into Canada.

Two options: have it redone in .455 or some other "antique" caliber.

Or the path that I went - call your CFO, have it registered and bring it across with an ATT.
 
These guys sell cylinders.

http://www.peacemakerspecialists.com/barcyl.html

They have new .45ACP cylinders near the bottom. Not 100% sure a 3rd gen cylinder will fit a 1st gen gun.

ETA: They also have a listing for rechambered 1st & 2nd gen .45ACP cylinders.

These guys are cool to deal with. I have bought tons from them, they will get you what you want.
 
Hey Thanks for all the great information.

I plan on calling CFO on monday to see what it takes to ship an antique over the border.
I remember reading it somewhere on here.

Any of you know of a good website to look up CSAA's for sale?

I've found these, icollector.com www.auctionflex.com/ gunbroker.com ebang.com but the only non-auction you'll find quite expensive examples.
How much have you found yourself spending in owning a prescribed antique colt saa from the states? Perhaps an already converted imported example would be more realistic.
Feel free to PM me incase there is an issues revealing prices etc.

Thanks again.
 
I plan on calling CFO on monday to see what it takes to ship an antique over the border.
I remember reading it somewhere on here.


If it is a prescribed antique up here it doesn't take much, just have the seller state the make, model, serial#, DOB & caliber on the customs form.

This is from my favorites, the ones with a * I have bought from:

*http://fulmersantiqueguns.com/listing.asp
http://www.gunsinternational.com/
http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/antiquehandguns.htm
http://johnsoncollector.com/home
*http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/show_inventory.php?catID=13
*http://www.antiquegunlist.com/index.php?catid=29
http://www.silversuncharters.com/mycustompage0014.htm
http://www.antiquefirearms.com/pages/HandGunsUS.htm
http://www.denner.ca/weapons/handguns/index.html
*http://www.merzantique.com/catalog_C0_38_1.php
http://www.antiqueguns.com/
http://www.armchairgunshow.com/index.htm
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php
http://www.1898andb-4.com/index.php
http://www.gunbroker.com/
http://www.apacheria.com/
http://www.joesalter.com/

I have paid about $2000-$3100USD for a SAA in the USA.
 
i got a big order of old gen 1 and gen 2 parts coming in some time next week. (it's a 15lb's box from a old gun smith some are used but most if new parts.

i will be listing the stuff i dont want to keep on the EE some time next month.
 
Back
Top Bottom