What are other people using to compress their cartridge loads? According to experts like Paul Matthews, the long-distance precision BP cartridge should be loaded by first trickling the powder through a drop-tube (or vibrating the cartridges after dropping the powder in), then lightly compressing the powder. I his books, Matthews decribes a specially-machined plug for his die set.
I rigged up a simple powder-compressor-plug using a bolt and two nuts, filed the bolt head round and set the two lock-nuts. It fits into my .45-70 Lee expander die, with the expander plug removed. This then gives a consistent (~3/16") compression for my Pyrodex loads (yes, yes, it's not REAL BP, I know I am a heretic, etc. etc.
but I have mostly plastic loading stuff and don't like the idea of a static discharge into BP interrupting my day).
TOTW sells an accessory for a few bucks, but the nuts-and-bolts rig was too easy and cheap to pass up. I found it has given more consistent ballistics than simple compression-by-feel. I also weigh each charge and use a drop-tube (straight 1/4" copper plumbing).
Now if I could only get somewhere within a reasonable distance where I can shoot beyond 200 yds....
I rigged up a simple powder-compressor-plug using a bolt and two nuts, filed the bolt head round and set the two lock-nuts. It fits into my .45-70 Lee expander die, with the expander plug removed. This then gives a consistent (~3/16") compression for my Pyrodex loads (yes, yes, it's not REAL BP, I know I am a heretic, etc. etc.
TOTW sells an accessory for a few bucks, but the nuts-and-bolts rig was too easy and cheap to pass up. I found it has given more consistent ballistics than simple compression-by-feel. I also weigh each charge and use a drop-tube (straight 1/4" copper plumbing).
Now if I could only get somewhere within a reasonable distance where I can shoot beyond 200 yds....


















































