confused

talon270

New member
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
Sask
I'm pretty new to the black powder guns and love'em so far. I bought a traditions buckstalker full kit to get started and its great, but when I went to get more ammo my gun supplier measured and weighed what came with the gun it came out to 45cal @ 240 grains. The gun is stamped 50cal. Can anybody shine a light on this for me?:confused:
 
I presume you use sabots in those things generally.

Does anyone actually use real black powder in those?

Not in Alberta anymore.
As we said as youths " smooth move exlax".
No more BP season here, too many high tech "Black Powder" rifles got 'er ####canned
And yeah I'm pissy about it LOL.
So don't take offense. Enjoy your new gun and disregard my grumblings, LOL
 
Yeah, I know its like cheating compared to using the real thing, did'nt know they got rid of the season next door. that's not cool. prbably coming here too eventually. Thanks for the info beefman.
 
Not in Alberta anymore.
As we said as youths " smooth move exlax".
No more BP season here, too many high tech "Black Powder" rifles got 'er ####canned
And yeah I'm pissy about it LOL.
So don't take offense. Enjoy your new gun and disregard my grumblings, LOL

I'll grumble along with you as I've always hoped that it would be revamped to a "primitive" season. Something like iron sights, exposed hammer sidelocks and round-balls only. Some US states are even more restrictive than that. Maybe thats a possible way to bring it back.
Sorry for the hijack...
 
I'll grumble along with you as I've always hoped that it would be revamped to a "primitive" season. Something like iron sights, exposed hammer sidelocks and round-balls only. Some US states are even more restrictive than that. Maybe thats a possible way to bring it back.
Sorry for the hijack...
I sure agree with you guys on this, I pretty much put away my old originals and the TC New Englander a few years ago, It just wasn't the same as it use to be. Are you in Sask, Talon? We still have a BP season here in Sask so if you go out with the idea that it's not a competition with the jocks that want to shoot 300 hundred yards with their so called front stuffers :) It's just between you and the game you're after. You can have fun with the gun you bought, You don't have to use sabots, even though it's probably a 1-28 twist it will likely shoot patched balls ok, a .450 round ball and cloth patch. Or for sure would shoot the pure lead 50 cal bullets like the old buffalo bullets if they still make them . Use real BP if you like and set a limit of 100 yards. You will be the one that has fun, doesn't wound a bunch of game and brings home the venison. I have decided that's what I'm going to do for the rest of my hunting days, not fight them, not join them just go do my own thing even if I have to go out in a regular season. Read everything you can on BP shooting and hunting and have fun with your new gun Talon.
 
Thanks BSA Jack, I do quite a bit of bow hunting too and limit myself to 40 max. using your 100 yrd rule makes sense, not a big fan of over extending a shot just cause I can. Would rather see the animal go down on the first one. I usually hunt the far corner from you by Kenosee back at the farm, a little more bush there and i'm usually in the middle of it.
Vagrantviking, I don't see the hijack, your input is appreciated.
 
I'm pretty new to the black powder guns and love'em so far. I bought a traditions buckstalker full kit to get started and its great, but when I went to get more ammo my gun supplier measured and weighed what came with the gun it came out to 45cal @ 240 grains. The gun is stamped 50cal. Can anybody shine a light on this for me?:confused:

I have the same rifle and am using 250g bullets in sabots. After about 26 years of shooting traditional style muzzleloader I broke down and got an inline, because of my eye sight. I dont really care for the new rifles, but I sure love the ease of cleaning, and the scope make for more accurate shooting in poor light. Now if they could put a spin out breach plug on a traditional syle, tap it for scope mounting, and rifle it 1 in 66" I would be a happy camper.
 
By the way, whats going on with your moose season? We have more swamp donkeys that you can count in the SE sask.
 
This will require a youtube search but...if you are going to enter the 'Pig & Ford' race you should be able to limit yourself to the Model T.
Not a tricked out version with all the latest bell's & whistles.
How long til someone puts a Tri-rail and a laser sight on a Black powder, LOL
 
Thanks snowshoe, so the 45 cal is correct eh? I have a few buds that think its wrong.

Yes it is .45 cal bullet in a 50 cal sabot. You can also get .44 cal bullets that work in sabots, the sabot is just thicker. I am still using real 3f black powder at 100g and a 250g saboted bullet. That load is plenty accurate enough for deer hunting out to 100 yards or even a bit more, if you practice with it.
 
WOW! Some common sense advice. Love it.

I get really hot reading articles in hunting mags about shooting muzzle loaders at 300 yards and up. PLEASE, go to the range and learn the truth for yourself. Find a load that you can shoot accurately at 100 then move your target out to 200. Only then will the 100 yard limit make sense. At 300 if you mis judge the range by 25 yards either way, you will shoot completely under or over your buck.

What disgusting sport these fellows suggest!

Pure lead bullets like the 400 grain Lyman great plains that I cast shoot well and really pack the mail at 100 or less. I also shoot some sabot projectiles and have had great success with the 240 grain Hornady XTP. Literally dozens of deer have fallen to 100 gr pyrodex and that bullet in a sabot for me. Never let me down.
Take some time and experiment to find the best load in your rifle and you will be rewarded by having to hunt more and shoot less. Best of all, the blaze orange brigade is no where to be found during October. Normally I have the woods all to myself and the deer are still in their summer patterns. This is the real reason I hunt blackpowder season.

Have fun and be sure to try some real black powder. I use fffg goex and pure lead bullets exclusivly now after running the gamut with every substitute available over the years. Nothing against Pyrodex, it has worked well for me, but real black is for sure better. Only you will know what will work best for you.
 
shredderO, what bullets are you using now, and what rifle and twist rate are you using? I think I would like to try casting pure lead pistol bullets, and use them in a sabot, or find a bore sized lead bullet that works in my rifle. I used to use round balls out of my .50 Deerstalker and .54 Trade rifles, and like using pure lead.
 
Yo Talon:
If you decide to shoot patched round balls you will want to use .490" or .495" diameter balls - not 45 cal. Somewhere between 75 and 90 gr of FFg or FFFg (I prefer the latter) will be your most accurate load, based on my experience with 50 cal percussion guns. Don't fret about adequate power: I have plugged lots of deer with my 45, 50 and 54 cal longrifles and even at 110 yd the balls pass completely through on a broadside chest shot. Happy hunting...
 
I use a 45 cal Hornady XTP 300 gr pistol bullet and black sabots in my Knight 50 cal. along with 80 gr. of 777FFFG. Got the recipe from a gunsmith who was the Knight tech in Manitoba. Seems to me the black sabot should work for you. 240 gr bullets should work fine.

I don't understand why you vendor didn't sell you sabots. (Sadly maybe I DO understand. A lot of dealers don't actually know zip about muzzleloaders.)
 
Yo Talon:
If you decide to shoot patched round balls you will want to use .490" or .495" diameter balls - not 45 cal. Somewhere between 75 and 90 gr of FFg or FFFg (I prefer the latter) will be your most accurate load, based on my experience with 50 cal percussion guns. Don't fret about adequate power: I have plugged lots of deer with my 45, 50 and 54 cal longrifles and even at 110 yd the balls pass completely through on a broadside chest shot. Happy hunting...
You are so right ol flinter, Thank you for setting that straight. Does anyone else my age have problems with memory loss :), of course you need .490 balls or a little over for a 50 cal. cheers
 
Back
Top Bottom