Conversion to antique status

tactical870

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
Anyone out there have any experience converting a firearm which is on the no-go list to an antique caliber/guage? I'm planning on buying a pre 1898shotgun and sleeving it down to 24 guage and just want to make sure it can be de-registered after. Thanks.
 
I think that the gun has to be in its original calibre as listed and not converted by you. Maybe by someone else in the last 90/100 years. I have a Webley Green in 476 calibre.
 
I think that the gun has to be in its original calibre as listed and not converted by you. Maybe by someone else in the last 90/100 years. I have a Webley Green in 476 calibre.

Find where it says that in the laws.

It doesn't. But feel free to look.

As a case in point, there are a couple colt SAA's that have come and gone on the EE, that have their original caliber parts included, but that were equipped with an RCMP letter declaring them to be Prescribed Antiques.

Off the top of my head, I can recall a SAA that started out as a 38-40, converted to 41LC, and another that was a conversion to 44 Special, using later generation Colt parts.

Cheers
Trev
 
What are you sleeving?
24ga is about .577/.58 - smoothbore muzzleloading barrel blanks would be an option.
Couldn't find a listing for 4130 seamless aircraft tubing that size. Closest was .750" OD, .56" ID.
Have you considered the availability of 24ga shells?
 
What are you sleeving?
24ga is about .577/.58 - smoothbore muzzleloading barrel blanks would be an option.
Couldn't find a listing for 4130 seamless aircraft tubing that size. Closest was .750" OD, .56" ID.
Have you considered the availability of 24ga shells?

Availability of .24 guage shells is not a huge factor. I can buy fiocci factory loads or hulls as well as CBC and magtech brass cases. I don't plan on shooting this gun a lot. The plan is to sleeve a shortened 12 guage sxs hammer gun to shoot the 24 guage shells. I wonder if hydraulic tubing could be reamed to size?? Anyone know the actual bore diameter of a 24 guage?
 
24ga is nominally .579".
Tubing could be reamed to this size, and the external diameter turned to fit the original bore. If 3/4" tubing is used, a 12ga. chamber would need a separate sleeve.
A chambering reamer would be needed.
The extractor would need to be built up and recut.
This would not be an inexpensive conversion.
What is the diameter of a 24ga. cartridge?
 
24ga is nominally .579".
Tubing could be reamed to this size, and the external diameter turned to fit the original bore. If 3/4" tubing is used, a 12ga. chamber would need a separate sleeve.
A chambering reamer would be needed.
The extractor would need to be built up and recut.
This would not be an inexpensive conversion.
What is the diameter of a 24ga. cartridge?

The 24 guage case measuers .650 at the base and about .630 at the plastic. I am capable of fitting and installing the sleeves, building up and cutting the extractors. What I need is a set of sleeves chambered to start with.
 
set of sleeves

Can a double shotgun be deregistered? For rifles it is'nt allowed right?

It is very exciting to think of a rifled 24 gauge or 14 gauge express style double rifle er hmm I mean shot gun. Or could only one barrel be rifled.......
 
Can a double shotgun be deregistered? For rifles it is'nt allowed right?

It is very exciting to think of a rifled 24 gauge or 14 gauge express style double rifle er hmm I mean shot gun. Or could only one barrel be rifled.......

the law says "non magazine" and a double rifle does not have a magazine.

I did try bushing a 12 guage to take 14 guage Greener police shells (which I made from 12 guage AA shells). It would have been good for cleaning out bar rooms but the pattern was beyond open. I think that the short chamber adapters must rely on relatively high pressures to get the shot cups to expand out to fit the barrel

cheers mooncoon
 
Rolling block actions have been re-barreled and de-registered from 7mm to 45-70 etc .so why not a shotgun .
 
Although the thought of a 14 guage greenr sounds cool, The complexity of making and loading the round makes it impractical in comparison to the 24 guage which is relatively easy to load.
 
Although the thought of a 14 guage greenr sounds cool, The complexity of making and loading the round makes it impractical in comparison to the 24 guage which is relatively easy to load.

The point I was trying to make was that while it is relatively easy (with a lathe) to make the chamber bushing and to form the shells, my experience was that with low pressure loads at least, you require the barrel to be bored to the guage of the shell that you are loading, for it to pattern well. A short bushing and including a liner leading into a larger bore gives an extremely open pattern. My impression is that guns using short chamber and barrel inserts require relatively high pressure loads (compared to black powder loads) in order to pattern well and their effectiveness decreases as the difference between bore and liner increases.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom