Conversion to Modern Cartridge

Any other ideas on anything modern and rimmed that I can sleeve down to? Or an obscure wildcat outside of the no-go list? .22 mag and .17 are too long. Need a round with a rim, under 38 cal, preferably that can be store bought with an OAL of less than 1.2".
 
Doesn't have to be rimmed. Could headspace on the case mouth. A shortened .30 Carbine, .30 sleeve in the bore?
 
The problem I've got it if I don't sleeve it down to something smaller, I'm limited to low pressure handloads. If I go with a smaller round and a liner then I should be able to shoot factory ammo. .25acp isn't on the antique list and .32 cal antique guns are only prohib if they are on the list. (.32 Merwin Hulbert and .32 rf are not prohib in antique guns)
 
The wording is "a handgun designed or adapted to fire 25 or 32 calibre ammunition". My concern is with the term "adapted". If you wanted to go to .25acp, it might be an idea to get a written ruling that this would be OK.
By the same token, if .25acp is OK, then .32acp would be as well. .32acp is not on the no fly list. Sleeve with scraps of .303 barrel. Don't know about pressure levels, handloading down might be a good idea.
 
The problem I've got it if I don't sleeve it down to something smaller, I'm limited to low pressure handloads. If I go with a smaller round and a liner then I should be able to shoot factory ammo. .25acp isn't on the antique list and .32 cal antique guns are only prohib if they are on the list. (.32 Merwin Hulbert and .32 rf are not prohib in antique guns)

Apparently not. I managed to get a .32 Merwin & Hulbert changed form 12(6) to free as a bird with one phone call. Or make your "wildcat" by shortening .32 S&W brass, and load a lighter bullet with black powder.
 
That's a great idea that I hadn't thought of..... How about shortening 38 S&W to make a wildcat and ream the chamber too short to accept any caliber on the list? Although that does mean I can't shoot factory ammo....
 
Factory, schmactory! It's a free and clear handgun for crying out loud. LMAO It would likely be the first wildcat cartridge that would be designed to have a lesser performance envelope than it's parent round. You just might make history!
 
Factory, schmactory! It's a free and clear handgun for crying out loud. LMAO It would likely be the first wildcat cartridge that would be designed to have a lesser performance envelope than it's parent round. You just might make history!

What rock you been getting your wildcatting info out from under?

Lots of wildcats out there that have lower performance than their parent rounds.

Do yer homework!

Cheers
Trev
 
Sorry I didn't read Cartridges of the World cover to cover while posting a quick reply. My idea of a wildcat round as of the last few years is the various .40-82 rounds for black powder cartridge rifles.

BTW, I said "likely" and "might make history." But is guess, as always if I can do it/think of it, so has someone else.
 
Back
Top Bottom