- Location
- Behind a large rock
What happens if an owner of a previously lettered antique, loses his RCMP letter? Can you get a new one or are you asked to register?
Letter or no letter I will continue to enjoy my antiques, They have not re-written the definition of an antique in the firearms act or on the RCMP website yet and I will continue to use the template letter in the sticky section for mine.
The only one I have that could cause concern would be a pre 1898 that was 41LC converted to 38 special.... I did save all the components in the event I ever wanted to fire 41LC again. Although this is still ok with the their latest rules I hope I am never forced to change her back.
The entire idea of getting a letter for something that does not need one is ridiculous anyway....
I think I will write a letter to my MP.
I really like this idea. Once we have the MP who will be the 'point man', then we can talk to our own MP's as well, and let them know that so-and-so MP is the one to follow up with. I'm not sure we should wait until just before an election to do this ... there may not be a majority gov't after the election.Once we have the MP to push it then we just post here and keep bumping it till ever antique gun collector sends a email to that MP
My writeing skills are very poor but i can get my point accross i think theres others here much better at that than me.
I really like this idea. Once we have the MP who will be the 'point man', then we can talk to our own MP's as well, and let them know that so-and-so MP is the one to follow up with. I'm not sure we should wait until just before an election to do this ... there may not be a majority gov't after the election.
What happens if an owner of a previously lettered antique, loses his RCMP letter? Can you get a new one or are you asked to register?
Ok well I emailed and phoned Garry Breitkreuz the policy changes and some info i have that will let him hammer this B.S .
With any luck we might even see some changes for the better but im not holding my breath.
I told them to contact me if there going to make any changes as one word in the wrong place can screw us worse off than we are now.
I asked them to get the policy change ended because it can make honest Canadians into criminals.
Sandy his co worker is gona spell check everything i sent him so no worries there
Once we get things set up i will start a Post that will have his contact info and everyone can have a voice by emailing him there concerns with the new policy change.
Its fight back or lay down and be steped on at this Point.
I recently spoke to the Ontario CBSA officer who inspects firearms at the mail boarder and told me that that particular letter is more than sufficient. "41Colt" has done a great service to us for drafting this letter, citing the criminal code is a great reference as well if you ever had to show it to a LEO.
It may be sufficient, but it's full of half truths and anyone who had recently read the regulations would pick them up. Many lines should end with "is legal in some scenarios", rather than simply "is legal". If you want to be safe, you'd best print off the relevant sections of the firearms act and don't rely on one paper.
I believe OP and others in his situation are opening themselves up to criminal charges by not registering these guns. The change in policy does make sense (from their perspective), since they like to use FRT numbers for everything now.
Unless you are ready to go through a lengthy legal battle that you very well may lose, you should probably wipe off your fingerprints, vacuum seal it, and go bury it under a tree. Even registering it, at this point, is admitting to illegal possession of an unregistered restricted firearm.
Just think of the T97 debacle. Or consider what would happen if someone tried to register an old handgun or full auto that they forgot they had from 70 years ago. If you didn't register it in an amnesty, it becomes too late.
Even registering it, at this point, is admitting to illegal possession of an unregistered restricted firearm.



























