Hey all,
Is it possible to take an "peacemaker" manufactured before 1898 in .45 LC, and convert it to .44spl, and then have it deregistered to antique, or if the gun is coming from elsewhere, get an antique letter?
Can you explain? Is it because all 1873 frames are "designed" the same and only barrel and cylinder change?
i do recall a member here having a bit of grief doing something similar ( i think it was 41 Colt who was trying to do this ) .
Maybe not quite as bad as the chopped classic antique and vintage shotguns so dear to the hearts of cowboy action bubbas, but these caliber conversions do destroy the originality of a collectible.
There have been a number of photos of SAAs so altered and reclassified posted here.
Personally, I am a little uneasy about the idea of permanently altering a valuable collectible firearm just to make an end run around current legislation. Maybe not quite as bad as the chopped classic antique and vintage shotguns so dear to the hearts of cowboy action bubbas, but these caliber conversions do destroy the originality of a collectible.
dingus - I do not know if the concept of "constructive possession" would apply.
If a person has, say, all the parts for a silencer, but unassembled, he can be prosecuted. If a person has all the parts of a restricted firearm, barrel and cylinder separate from the receiver, could this be an offence? I don't know. But it is issue that should be considered.
The chap in BC didn't think importing unassembled magazine parts was a problem either.
I have an 1892 DA Colt in .38spl that was converted to antique status. It took about two months of emails back & forth, with a long time of no communication where I thought they dropped the idea but I did get an antique letter in the end. Just be patient.
I'm surprised that converstion is allowable. Won't the 38 Spl still chamber 38 S&W which is on the no-go list?
There are two classes of antique firearms, prescribed and deemed. One class - the muzzleoaders,are antique under the law. The other class are defined as antique by regulation.



























