Converting a Rolling block

CMichaud

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
72   0   1
I hear that the 11.7x51 will chamber 45-70 casings but can you actual shoot 45-70 out of a Danish rolling block with any degree of safety/accuracy?

Anyne know hard would it be to convert one of the Danish Rolling block to 45-70 if you were to swap the barrel out?

Thanks

Colin
 
I have a friend who shoots a danish rolling block very accurately. He uses 45-70 shells and either neck sizes them or does not size them at all; not sure. The cases balloon out with the first shot and he does not change the body dimension after that.
I would try the gun as is and not bother rebarreling unless it did not shoot accurately.

cheers mooncoon
 
If you want the gun to shoot with any degree of accuracy you need to re-barrel. Plus if its a very old barrel you can only shoot soft lead bullets, anything else will destroy the bore in record time, and then you will end up re-barreling anyway... I'm in the process of doing one right now. It's just a matter or getting a blank, making the contour, threading to fit the receiver and chambering it. There is also a little bit of milling for clearance for the extractor. I will let you know how it goes (when I finally get time to do it)
 
If you want the gun to shoot with any degree of accuracy you need to re-barrel.

I would not necessarily agree with that. If the bore is good and the crown reasonable or you recrown a damaged one, there is no reason why an old barrel should not be accurate. If you are competing in long range black powder shooting, jacketed bullets are banned anyway

cheers mooncoon
 
I have one of these old Danish Rollers, as for rebarrelling that never happened.
Accurate one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned.
Brass the only problem that I encountered was that 45-70 brass when loaded some will fire and some won't. After chatting up the local gunsmith he figured out that the 45-70 rim was thicker thus not letting the breech shut all the way and no fire. You could drop the hammer on the cartridge once twice.....ten times no fire.
I ordered 50 brass from Mr. Bruno Gross and have never looked back in that department.
Dies one phone call to C&H got me a set of dies. I shoot the old girl exclusively with FFg and a 405 Hollow Base Bullet cast 30 to 1 or 25 to 1 from a Lee Mold and this thing shoots very consistant. Three hundred yards is the farthest I have shot it.

If your barrel is good keep it shoot it and enjoy.

Ken.
 
I shoot one of these and I modified 45-70 Hornady Leverlution brass (it is about a 1/16 in shorter) and trimmed 20 thou off the rim and use trap door data...
 
Back
Top Bottom