Converting Originals to Cartridge?

CMichaud

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
72   0   1
Apologies if this has been asked a buziilion times and I have failed to find the thread but...

Can anyone tell me whether original pistols such as the 1860 Colt or 58 Remington can be readily converted to cartridge?

If so, does it premanently alter the pistol?

I would never permanently alter an original but am curious as to the option to fire cartridges out of them.

Mucho thankos!
 
There are, and were, conversion cylinders that dropped into place that would allow shooting cartridges in a cap and ball gun.

Mostly of the 'take it apart to reload' variety.

Most of the cartridge conversions I have seen online and in print, involved attaching a plate behind the new shorter cylinder, that would hold the firing pin or a bushing for a pin on the hammer, and which prevent the cartridges from falling out on recoil.

There is at least one outfit in the US that makes conversion cylinders. Look for the Kirst Konverter. Not real common to find North of the border.

Cheers
Trev
 
I have a .455 webley converter cylinder for a Rogers and Spencer. It is easier and more fun to shoot the gun as a cap and ball. Your gonna have to clean it anyway.
Not to mention I'm reluctant to put metal forged in 1867 or so to the test with double based pistol powder....
 
Back
Top Bottom