Corrosive 7.62x39, how long do I have?

thebaron

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Location
Zegema Beach
I'm out at the camp blasting away with my new-to-me SKS and corrosive ammo.

I wont be back in town with access to boiling water until tomorrow evening, will I be ok?

Thanks!
 
Depends where you are, but I found over the past couple of years that there's generally no need to panic. I sometimes "forget" to clean my rifles for months following shooting corrosive and it always cleans right up.
 
No boiling water at camp?
I'd say it depends on the humidity or if the barrel is getting condensation from temperature change.....I guess you could always piss on it!:eek:
 
No boiling water at camp?
I'd say it depends on the humidity or if the barrel is getting condensation from temperature change.....I guess you could always piss on it!:eek:
Or run an oily patch at least.
 
Bring a bottle of Windex with Ammomia in it (check the label) and clean with that followed by oily patches.
 
"...Windex with Ammonia..." It's the water content of Windex that matters. Ammonia does nothing but smell bad.
"...No boiling water at camp?..." Bad planning?
Cold water will do in a pinch. Hot water really just dries faster on hot/warm steel. As daft as that sounds. Flush with plain water, then clean as per normal. Make sure you get all the water out, including in the gas system. WD-40 displaces water. Mind you, your rifle won't dissolve in 24 hours.
 
I left my CZ858 for about a week after shooting corrosive ammo and I did notice some minor rust build up in the chamber area, also didnt help that it got left outside in my vehicle over night at -10C outside, One major factor to consider when shooting corrosive ammo is not to leave them in the cold or humid areas for an extended period of time. also clean them ASAP but u should be ok for a couple of days as long as the gun is kept at room temp. It was only minor rust and one afternoon and 600 rounds later took care of the rust :D
 
I once made the mistake of leaving my SKS for months on end without cleaning it after shooting corrosive and when I opened my gun safe the metal had basically dissolved, leaving me nothing more than the front sight and the stock sitting on the floor of the safe.

/sarcasm

You guys kill me with your fear of corrosive ammo, but in the end it works out great for me. The less you buy the more there is available. Win-win.
 
You don't need boiling water or Windex or... to clean up after corrosive ammo. Old womens' myth.

But you do need to clean it after corrosives, preferably, the same day. just use hopps9 or Ram oil, G96 or whatever you normally use. Do your cleaning a bit more vigorously than other guns and pay attention to small parts too.

Two pristine, regularly fired SKS's I have sitting in my safe are proof.
 
Bring a bottle of Windex with Ammomia in it (check the label) and clean with that followed by oily patches.

A good idea -

Remember - there is NO ammonia in windex.

It is ammonia D - a very different chemical. A dessicant.

Windex is only soap and water (which cleans the corrosive salts) with a dessicant to stop flash rust from the water.

Windex is an effective convenience cleaner - Boiling water is a waste of effort and less effective because of the lack of dessicant.
swingerlh.gif
 
about 3 minutes after your last round. If not cleaned by then with boiling water, windex, clp and hoppes your rifle will no longer work...

;)
 
I have found rust in the gas tube after leaving the rifle sit overnight. The bore is chrome plated (except the Yugos) so isn't so critical. Hoppes #9 will remove corrosive salts, it says so right on the label so a normal cleaning with Hoppes and patches will work fine as long as you remember to clean the gas tube.
 
If humidity is low (e.g. 50% or less) and condensation is not a factor, no worries about next day cleaning. If raining, that might be a problem.

Hot water is just a convenient way of cleaning - while metal is still hot, water evaporates completely => no need for water displacement oil.

s>
 
If humidity is low (e.g. 50% or less) and condensation is not a factor, no worries about next day cleaning. If raining, that might be a problem.

Hot water is just a convenient way of cleaning - while metal is still hot, water evaporates completely => no need for water displacement oil.

s>

Supposedly true - but I have seen flash rust with hot water -
swingerlh.gif
 
"Play it again, Sam". A product called FLUID FILM works just fine. Take a jug to camp with you, and run a good greasy swatch through when you are done shooting.
 
Good point, but yes they do. Or at least my cell phone doesn't have internet.

Back on point, my Dad has been shooting corrosive stuff out of his 858 for several years and he's been using....slipped my mind. It smells really good, and foams when you spray it, I'm sure some one will see this and know which one I'm talking about.
 
Back
Top Bottom