Corrosive 7.62x39, how long do I have?

Tagged for interest.

Ever since I found my FNFAL turning green due to unknown-at-the-time corrosive ammo, I've been paranoid about the stuff. Pouring boiling water and soapy suds down the innards of my 858is getting old already. I'd gladly pay double for non-corrosive ammo. :(
 
good point, but yes they do. Or at least my cell phone doesn't have internet.

Back on point, my dad has been shooting corrosive stuff out of his 858 for several years and he's been using....slipped my mind. It smells really good, and foams when you spray it, i'm sure some one will see this and know which one i'm talking about.


g96
 
Tagged for interest.

Ever since I found my FNFAL turning green due to unknown-at-the-time corrosive ammo, I've been paranoid about the stuff. Pouring boiling water and soapy suds down the innards of my 858is getting old already. I'd gladly pay double for non-corrosive ammo. :(

Unless we get lucky and finally get some Russian Commercial ammo,you'll pay about double double for non-corrosive. Cheapest I found was Fiocchi at Epps for 12.59 for 10 boxes or more.
 
You don't need boiling water or Windex or... to clean up after corrosive ammo. Old womens' myth.

But you do need to clean it after corrosives, preferably, the same day. just use hopps9 or Ram oil, G96 or whatever you normally use. Do your cleaning a bit more vigorously than other guns and pay attention to small parts too.

Two pristine, regularly fired SKS's I have sitting in my safe are proof.

That is absolutely correct. I have never used boiling water, windex, etc.

Use any CLP, such as Break Free (I use Eezox but difficult to find in Canada). Give it a good spray, including the gas cylinder, and will be good for months if you don't get around to cleaning it.
 
Last edited:
Just for curiosity, I looked inside a Berdan-primed WOLF 7.62 x 39mm steel casing I had kicking around. The inside of the case has 3D rust. Kind of interesting, in an artistic sort of way.
 
Along the same lines as this thread...

Anyone know how to properly clean an SKS gas tube? I cleaned it for the first time by pouring boiling hot water through it and sprayed solvent/cleaner it in, then jammed in a cotton patch and rotated it and general pushed it around in there and it came out fairly dirty. I eventually got it pretty clean, but is there any better way? It has a large opening but quickly shrinks down to the oprod size hole.
 
You don't need boiling water or Windex or... to clean up after corrosive ammo. Old womens' myth.

But you do need to clean it after corrosives, preferably, the same day. just use hopps9 or Ram oil, G96 or whatever you normally use. Do your cleaning a bit more vigorously than other guns and pay attention to small parts too.

Two pristine, regularly fired SKS's I have sitting in my safe are proof.

Agreed from my experience as well.
 
Depending on humidity, your SKS will likely be fine if you have to wait a day before you can clean it.

Water or any water-based cleaner will dissolve and remove the corrosive salts. The advantage of something like Windex is that it will do a better job of cutting through the carbon fouling (which might otherwise cover up some of the salts) than straight water. Personally, I like to use Simple Green on my SKS.

Non-polar petroleum based solvents will not dissolve the polar salt residue. At best, they might leave an oily residue that protects the surface from exposure to moisture, but the salt will not be entirely removed.
 
I once made the mistake of leaving my SKS for months on end without cleaning it after shooting corrosive and when I opened my gun safe the metal had basically dissolved, leaving me nothing more than the front sight and the stock sitting on the floor of the safe.

/sarcasm

You guys kill me with your fear of corrosive ammo, but in the end it works out great for me. The less you buy the more there is available. Win-win.




LOL this made me belley laugh
 
Back
Top Bottom