could I build a flintlock handgun then register it.

A couple of points to think about; if you don't get a registration within a month, phone them up --- anything that does not go out right away, tends to sit on a desk for the rest of time unless you prompt them.

re manufacturing --- what would raise problems is the time delay between registration and sale; if you made a gun then sold it 1 week after receiving the new card, you would be suspected of manufacturing.

The only home made that I registered was several years ago and took 2 or 3 weeks to receive the card. No questions about the barrel etc.

cheers mooncoon
 
The question about the origin of the barrel is interesting. Can't see how that would be relevant to the registration process in any way whatsoever.
 
Regarding Fishhog's original question: Mooncoon and Aries both have it correct, based on my experience. I recently built a 12" Kentucky pistol - 50 cal percussion but it would not matter as regards registration because it is not antique and must be registered once it is capable of being fired. When I phoned, the CFC wanted to know if it was a"Kit" and explained that it was not a kit but built from parts just like a kit would be. They wanted to know who manufactured the most significant part, which we both agreed was the barrel so I directed them to the Green Mtn website and they confirmed that G-M actually makes 12" 50 cal octagon barrels and were happy with that. They then provided the reference info I needed and I went online and did the registration process. Having said this, it was more than 2 months ago and I still haven't rec'd the paperwork. The previous time was a "home made" percussion rifle and the paperwork took 4 months so I am not really surprised at this delay. Regarding "manufacturing", if you buy the lock and/or barrel rather than making them yourself and assemble the parts for a couple of guns for yourself or a friend then I don't see the CFC getting wrapped around the axle about your new gun.... but 40 or 50 in one year might attract attention.
Good luck

thank you sir, that is good info. My barrel is actually a cut off from a 45cal hawkin rifle I made 25years ago. Not sure if that is going to be an issue, but I will see.
 
Back
Top Bottom