Couldn't find it in FAQ - good place to order cap and ball supplies?

walter23

Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Location
BC
Just getting started here and need all the basic black powder tools. Flask, nipple wrench, patches, etc. Where should I look to buy all this equipment?

Did a quick search of FAQ and posts in here but nothing obvious popped out.
 
track of the wolf is good but U.S. based. I am sure someone will come on and give some good Canadian suppliers. as for patches, i just cut mine from old cloth.
 
Sorry, I think I meant wads - not cleaning patches. But thanks, I'll check out that US site.

Track of the Wolf is a good site. They ship to Canada without problems, and good selection and prices notwithstanding the US dollar. I bought my last 500 wonderwads from them when I ran low and could not find any in SW Ontario.

Rustywood has plenty of stuff also, and are good to deal with.

I use ballistol for my muzzleloader cleaning, and don't have a source for it.
 
Thanks for the tip NaturalPath. Just use a punch of some sort to cut it, I presume?

Track of the Wolf sells punches that are specially made for that purpose. Mind you, if you are handy, you could modify (read grind) a punch from CT to make it the right size...
 
I just had a piece of hardwood with the right sized holes through it and pack wet toilet paper in it and let it dry. Punch them out once dry and you’ve got wads. Or use old wasp nest, it doesn’t burn like a wad can and catch the grass on fire.
 
Fabricland! :)

you can get stuff there or get them to order linen, pillow ticking (though you may have to explain what that is) and thick felt... depending on what you want to use. and what for ... (basically anything natural - polyester stuff will melt in your bore and make you sad)

I use those round cotton pads you find in the makeup dept. for wads in my .75 Bess they work great. (and leave a hilarious cloud of floating/burning cotton)

For other calibres I use thick felt - I forget where I got it, but it's almost 1/4" thick. to make the wads I just bought some punches from princess auto - they work for most calibres.... though I did have to make a punch for my .62 calibre Jaeger. about 20 minutes work on the lathe - or you can order from track of the wolf as well.

Any gun store (or online) will either carry or be able to order you shot up to .50 and caps. anything over .50 you will probably have to cast yourself , get someone to cast for you or order from any muzzle loader builder supply (track, MLBS, etc)

patch/wad/bullet lube you can make or order, lots of recipes out there for lots of different lubes.
 
Oh sorry - careful with felt, make sure it is a natural felt they do make some with polyester and/or acrylics ....
 
Hillfolk Musket Supplies, Senlac, SK. Doug and Beckey Middleton. 306-228-2949
If Becky doesn't have what you need, she can get it.
 
Back
Top Bottom