Cracked frame

drache

BANNED
CGN Ultra frequent flyer
BANNED
Rating - 98.2%
54   1   0
Is there any way to actually replace the cracked from on an 1851 Colt? Just wondering if it's even possible (or worth it) to try and get the gun back in shooting condition.

dscf2999d.jpg
 
Replacing would be though as I imagine another frame would be hard to come by. Not sure if anyone else here has tried fixing one. That said, if it were my own I'd give it a try and weld then re-harden it.
 
I hear really good things about TIG welding. Fin an expert and ask that he weld it in a heat sink ( immerse as much as possible in water ). Apparently it's the ticket.
But I'd proceed carefully.
If someone is more informed on this matter, I'd bow out to their opinion.
But I'd look into getting it TIG'd for sure
 
Heat control with a tig isn't too hard, but hardening the material around the crack due to the welding process may be an issue. A good oven/case hardening should work seeing as it's only a .36 cal with bp. I don't know of any gunsmith who would risk the liability though and I'd only try it on my own gun.
 
If worse comes to worse I will simply just leave it as it is. It's had that crack for the past 80 years at least. The gun hasn't even been touched in that long.
 
Leave it alone. 80 year old metal isn't the same as modern metal.
A new Uberti 1851 runs between $355 and $400.

Actually the metal is 147 years old. This is an all original Colt made in 1863.

It just feels like a shame having this thing sit in a safe and not doing anything. A shame on it's former glory days :(
 
I have no idea how a welder would tackle that job, but if you did go the welding route, I think the entire frame would have to be annealed afterward, then re-hardened. I'm not an expert, just saying what I've heard from a fellow in the US who restores old guns. Annealing would relieve the internal stresses produced by the welding process.
 
I have no idea how a welder would tackle that job, but if you did go the welding route, I think the entire frame would have to be annealed afterward, then re-hardened. I'm not an expert, just saying what I've heard from a fellow in the US who restores old guns. Annealing would relieve the internal stresses produced by the welding process.

Well if it's going to be that much work then I will simply just put it back away in the safe. :(
 
Have someone competent proceed a dye penetrant test. Then, may be able to know how deep the crack is. Unless you can see the crack from the inside too, it will be your only way to start. Because if you have the crack running inside, depending on location it may be impossible to fix.

It should be made of low-carbon non-alloyed (or very little alloyed) steel. Not complicated to TIG weld but it will definitely need an annealing and a surface heat treatment (say, if the repair is possible).
 
If its steel, and if its Colt....it can be fixed.

There are American companies that specialize in this stuff,


There was a post a month or 3 ago about a old 1873 colt some one was repairing "it was in far far worse shape then yours.


You have the arm...its in great shape "aside from crack" WHY NOT invest in getting it fixed up.....

Its 100% worth it, what you got there is not some relic condition fixer upper, but a nice clean well used war horse that has done and seen things we only dream of today...


All the best to you and your sublime 1851 colt navy!!


Invest a little in her and you will have a great shooter for the rest of your life "and a few lives after you".


Cheers
 
I'm thinking put aside 500-700 bucks yankee doodle dollars "not including shipping or -any- uber fancy bone case colours" and get it done right by a Yank civil war type gunsmith.

It is very much worth it in my opinion.

Cheers
 
If you HAD to fix it, you'd take it to a good TIG man with experience welding on firearms and have it fixed. Then send the receiver to Turnbull and have it re-case hardened. Finally, to match it back to the original patina, you'd rub the cased finish down with talc powder until the desired lack of finish is achieved.

If it were mine, I would leave it as is.
 
I bet that after all the work had been done, the value of the piece would be less than its as is value plus the cost of the work. Frame welded, stripped, rehardened, totally refinished. And some folks worry about preserving patina.
 
I bet that after all the work had been done, the value of the piece would be less than its as is value plus the cost of the work. Frame welded, stripped, rehardened, totally refinished. And some folks worry about preserving patina.

sadly the patina is actually only 99% intact. Somewhere in the past 80 years someone cleaned the section where the crack is (thus the reason it looks shinier in the photos). The rest though is original.
 
Back
Top Bottom