Crime against the Memory of the War Heroes!

JP

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Location
Quebec
Just received this message,


Shocking . . . please keep your ears open . . .


From the Crimean War yahoo group:

Some 100 NZ Army medals were stolen in the early hours last Sunday,
the main ones:

VICTORIA CROSS AND BAR

2nd Lt Charles Upham 1941, 1942

VICTORIA CROSS

Cpl Leslie Andrew 1917
Sgt Keith Elliott 1942
L Cpl Samuel Frickleton 1917
Sgt John Grant 1918
Sgt John Hinton 1941
Sgt Clive Hulme 1941
Sgt Reginald Judson 1918
Sgt Harry Laurent 1918

GEORGE CROSS

Sgt Murray Hudson 1974
L Cpl David Russell 1948

ALBERT MEDAL

Lt Randolph Ridling 1918

The theft has been front page news and has aroused universal horror
from the PM down as ' a crime against the nation.' Despite the police
focus and optimism throughout the week however, the criminals are
still at large and of course the medals could be long gone. No
apologies for going off topic on this, as I know our group contains
several eminent and influential medal collectors who will
know better than I how to give these details the widest pertinent
circulation.

Regards to all

John [Barham] - Crimean War Yahoo Group

Jim the 1812 Moderator here. I was shocked and disgusted to read of
this crime, as I imagine most List members will be. I've posted this
message so that in the admittedly very unlikely event any member comes
across information that might help in the retrieval of these national
treasures, you will report same to the authorities.
 
Was that in New Zealand? Ref NZ?? DON'T LET ANYONE OFF THE ISLAND, AND CONDUCT A MOP UP... THAT'S JUST PLAIN ####TY NEWS.....

All those VC's what a bloody shame.
 
When they croak and meet the pearly gates...
There will be a bunch of ass kicking warriors waiting in line to get their's.
What goes around comes around.
 
Some bits of info on this...
-----------------------------------
Additional rewards offered for information on medals

Fri, 07 Dec 2007 08:40a.m.

An American ex-serviceman and an unidentified New Zealand businessman have joined Lord Ashcroft in offering rewards for the return of the medals stolen from the Waiouru Army Museum last weekend.
British medal collector Lord Michael Ashcroft offered a $200,000 reward for
information leading to the stolen medals' return.
Inquiry head Detective Senior Sergeant Chris Bensemann said the new offers
were "very generous", but did not say how much they were.
Police had been discussing the matter of the rewards and were assessing what impact they might have on the investigation.
A decision was expected in the next day or so, Mr Bensemann said.
Meanwhile, the police investigation into the theft remains focused on the
Waiouru area.
Forensic examination of the museum finished yesterday and police hope to
finish their work in the museum today.
A late decision to "graphically replicate" the activities of the offender or
offenders meant police control of the museum lasted longer than expected.
Police were keeping an open mind about suspects and motive.
Police and military police continued their door-to-door questioning of local
residents, despite heavy rain this morning.
"There has been a very high level of co-operation by the persons spoken to
and a number of items of information have come out of this phase," Mr
Bensemann said.
- NZPA
 
That is a crime against a nation's heritage, I'd hate to be them when they get caught - they'll wish they were child molesters when they get put inside.
 
I just talked to my sister in NZ about this. The people are really upset and I don't give much hope for the perps if some of the population get their hands on them.

It must also have been an inside job. They were in and out in six minutes!
 
Charles Upham was one of only three soldiers who won the VC with Bar. He was nominated for a third, but that was not granted as the powers that be decided that that would devalue the VC.

This is terrible news.
 
I doubt that this was a random theft as the medals are way to hot to sell on the open market, especially Upham's.

I hope they get these scum and their wealthly buyer too.
 
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:00:24 +0100
From: Museum Security Network Mailing list <msn-list@te.verweg.com>
Subject: [MSN] New Zealand. POLICE have executed search warrants in
the hunt for 96 medals, including nine Victoria Crosses, stolen from
the Army Museum in Waiouru.
To: list@museum-security.org
Message-ID: <47698668.7040000@bruggemansolutions.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed
Police follow up leads with search warrants
20.12.2007By SIMON WOOD

POLICE have executed search warrants in the hunt for 96 medals, including nine Victoria Crosses, stolen from the Army Museum in Waiouru.
A work area on the Waiouru army base was among addresses searched on Tuesday afternoon, as police continue their hunt for the stolen treasures.
No arrests were made during the operation, and none of the medals were recovered.
Detective Dennis O'Rourke said police were following up leads revealed during an town-wide canvas, in which everyone in Waiouru was questioned.
"The searches were undertaken as a result of information received during our questioning.
"He said police had no formal suspects but were focusing on a number of "people of interest".
"If we're looking at a person of interest, then we'll be looking at all the areas where they live and work," he said.
To obtain a search warrant, police must believe here are "reasonable grounds" to believe evidence related to an offence will be uncovered.
"A certain amount of evidence is required to execute a search warrant," Mr O'Rourke said.
Police last week questioned everyone living in Waiouru, including soldiers stationed at the army base, and the Chronicle understands a number of leads developed from this process.
A national hotline is also active, with information provided by members of the public being investigated.
Police have ruled out a smash-and-grab operation, and believe the theft was undertaken with a degree of planning and experience.
None of the stolen medals have been recovered, although a number of false alarms have been investigated.
On one occasion, a group of medals were found in a Wellington car-park and another, single medal was intercepted by customs.
 
No one can steal the fact that the honours were awarded to the servicemen.
The actual medals mean nothing. I don't see what the big deal is.
 
Of course, it's the same no matter what the country. The medals themselves are merely a token of the honours awarded. If you can't see that I give up.
 
The 96 NZ medals have been found...long story but sort of a happy ending...some local dood in jail intervened and arranged for the return of the goods in exchange for his freedom...this may turn into a movie one day!!
 
Last edited:
Charles Upham was one of only three soldiers who won the VC with Bar. He was nominated for a third, but that was not granted as the powers that be decided that that would devalue the VC.

This is terrible news.

Actually he was the only soldier who won two VC's. The other two were doctors who rescued men under fire. This is to take nothing away from their heroism.

I have Uphams biography, a unique person indeed.

"The Mark of the Lion"

Author is Kenneth Sanford.

ISBN is 0 09 172731 6.

This book is about the only combat soldier to win two Victoria Crosses'.
The Soldier was Captain Charles Hazlet Upham and the book details his history. He really used the SMLE to great advantage in one harrowing incident outlined in the book. However, in the desert, his favorite weapon was the handgrenade!
One of the most amazing facts is, the fact that he survived the war and only passed away in the nineties!
CharlesUpham.jpg
 
Actualy the guy is back in jail charged with drug dealing. He asked to be temporarily released to see if he could find the medals, and he did. I would assume that some really nasty threats were made to the thieves and they thought saving their own skins was more important to holding on to the medals.

One would suppose that will work a lot in favour of the drug dealer at his trial.;)
 
Back
Top Bottom