Crown over DN?

zelly

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
339   0   0
Location
Victoria,BC
Have this flintlock pistol that will be going on the ee. Can’t pin down the year tho or possible value. The only markings are DN over crown. The stock is in rough shape with splits on the front on both sides.
ngCACI2.jpg

76HT0Ft.jpg
 
Also found this.

There is a mark on the lock-plate - a crown with letters DN underneath, which possibly stands for Delft Nederlandse. Seaside city of Delft was a location of one of the largest Dutch arsenals. Another possibility for the DN abbreviation is relating to the O.P. Drissen & Cie, a known Liege gun maker.
Barrel is 23 cm long, in man-stopping .69 caliber

Also this.

DUTCH Antique Sea Service FLINTLOCK Pistol

NAPOLEONIC WARS-Era Military Made in Liege

Here we present an antique Dutch Sea Service Flintlock Pistol, made circa 1800 in Liege. Today we know that Liege is a city in Belgium, perhaps most famous for its centuries of arms manufacture; but at this time, Belgium was not yet independent, and was a parcel of the United Kingdom of the Netherlands until recognized in 1839. This period in history was dominated by Napoleon Bonaparte and his wars of conquest. Interestingly, the Netherlands was a part of the French Empire from 1795 to 1813, and Napoleon renamed it the Batavian Republic, then the Kingdom of Holland, according to his purposes. During this time, the Dutch military fought alongside France against Napoleon’s many enemies. After Napoleon’s defeat in 1813, William I was restored to the head of the government, and in 1815 he declared himself king in the face of Napoleon’s return from Elba. William I’s son, the future King William II fought Napoleon at Waterloo.
 
These pistols were sold as surplus by Bannermans of New York in the early 20th century. They actually aren’t as old as one would think. It’s a Dutch pistol. Made for navel use and I do believe some made their way into the African trade market. I’ve seen many of them, very rugged construction and seem serviceable enough.
 
Wondering what the notches on the trigger gard were for ?? Thought that they were uslly on the pistol grip .

From what I seen on the other pics on the internet all of these models have the notches on the trigger guard. I wonder what they are for as well.
 
Wondering what the notches on the trigger gard were for ?? Thought that they were uslly on the pistol grip .

Likely the number of times it was successfully fired. Joke.

TURF THE LIBERALS IN 2019

Liberals really like POOR people, they're making more of them every day

If you can't vote CPC, stay at home in protest
 
These pistols were sold as surplus by Bannermans of New York in the early 20th century. They actually aren’t as old as one would think. It’s a Dutch pistol. Made for navel use and I do believe some made their way into the African trade market. I’ve seen many of them, very rugged construction and seem serviceable enough.

They also appear in the 1900 Sears catalogue.
 
Back
Top Bottom