I've had an original 1858 Remington 44 for a while now. Just for the hell of it, I started building a conversion cylinder for it today. As far as I know, and can tell, everything on this gun is factory.
When I started taking some measurements on the original cyl though, everything was all over the place.
The cylinder is round....sort of. Its not out by much, but it isnt perfect.
All 6 chambers were not only drilled to different depths, they arent concentric to the pin nor the circumference of the cyl.
Just a theory, but I think the chambers were drilled but not reamed. 2 chambers are identical, but each one after, gets progressively larger. Which would be explained by a drill bit getting hotter and expanding. Also, as it gets dull, it wipes more of the metal.
2 of the cyl stop notches are out by a bit. 1 enough that it doesnt engage every time.
Even though gun making techniques and machinery from 150 years ago, arent what they are now, they made some pretty impressive things back then. I was just suprised that by the lack of accuracy in building something that has worked so well, for so long!
When I started taking some measurements on the original cyl though, everything was all over the place.
The cylinder is round....sort of. Its not out by much, but it isnt perfect.
All 6 chambers were not only drilled to different depths, they arent concentric to the pin nor the circumference of the cyl.
Just a theory, but I think the chambers were drilled but not reamed. 2 chambers are identical, but each one after, gets progressively larger. Which would be explained by a drill bit getting hotter and expanding. Also, as it gets dull, it wipes more of the metal.
2 of the cyl stop notches are out by a bit. 1 enough that it doesnt engage every time.
Even though gun making techniques and machinery from 150 years ago, arent what they are now, they made some pretty impressive things back then. I was just suprised that by the lack of accuracy in building something that has worked so well, for so long!



















































