Current prices of antique handguns

tbrwlf

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
266   0   1
Location
Sudbury Ontario
Meaning no disrepect to those who have antique handguns in the EE, I have to ask the question.

Why are the prices so high? In some cases twice what a similar gun is listed for in the states.

I would like to get an antique for many reasons. But I can't justify to myself spending 1500 + on a gun.

It is not a very good choice for hunting, and that is illegal as a primary weapon, as far as I know.

I can buy a modern gun if I want a plinker or accurate target gun.

I have plenty of short rifles to carry on hikes and that sort of thing.

For a true collectible the price just shot way up.

Is it just me or do the prices seem to be too high?
 
There are two pricing structures for antique handguns. First, there are collectible antiques, where rarity, condition and desireability drive the prices. Second, there are the legally exempt shooters, which can be acquired, carried, used, without permit or paper.
Some pistols have value both ways. Others, that would be worthless as collectible antiques - heavily altered, spray painted, etc, can have substantial value as "no permit" pistols.

Nice little sideline business - buy not particualarly desireable, but shootable pistols in the US, resell them here where they are worth substantially more.
 
Some sell for a premium here because they have the desired characteristic of being a prescribed antique and exempt from certain gun laws. So, you pay for that luxery. Others, more truly collectable specimens, like Colt SAA's or a S&W Schofield, have similar prices on both sides of the border. I think people buy them for different reasons, hence the $1000 markup on a $250 gun where its simply a prescribed antique, but not otherwise unique.
 
Pretty much has been explained - the two seperate classes each drive their own categories' prices up.

Also note that some people prefer to buy in Canada due to the fact that if you buy a lemon out of the states you're SOL... basically left with junk. Safer to buy in Canada sometimes.
 
Many are too scared to import one themselves despite how easy it is, and this keeps the EE prices up.
If you have a pair just import one yourself
But don't worry I'm sure one of the guys that imports on a regular basis for easy cash will be along soon to tell you all about how you shouldn't risk doing it yourself bla bla bla
 
Maybe some nice cgn'er would put up something here on the process for importing antiques from the u.s. and also where we could find a list of which are Antique in the eyes of the rcmp and border agency. I understand the best way, once you make sure it is an Antique in Canada is to mail it back and go through the import duty thing locally.?.!
I work for an airline and can get to the states a bit easier if I new where to go and pick up some older firearms.
 
Maybe some nice cgn'er would put up something here on the process for importing antiques from the u.s.

There is no process to import an antique. Just tell the seller to state the make, model, serial & DOB, caliber and the fact that it's an obsolete antique pre-1898. The only costs involved are shipping and then tax. Get it shipped by USPS/Canada Post.

also where we could find a list of which are Antique in the eyes of the rcmp and border agency.

There isn't really a list, but the sticky at the top Antique Firearms Flowchart will indicate to you if a gun is antique or not.
 
one thing for sure.... easier to buy here and less of a chance getting screwed i think. Price of course reflects that. I cant afford to buy here so i do take chances,. One gun was not exactly as expected and was too costly to ship back. Thanks to price differences i sold it here and lost minimal amount of money.
 
Yes, prices are high, but it's an investment like gold or silver - at least that's what I tell the wife.

Prices are what they are because that is what people are willing to pay, I guess. If you just want a shooter then buy a new manufacture reproduction gun and shoot it. But if you want something that actually has made history then expect to pay more. Most of the webley pistols are still available in the $1000-$1200 range in the US and they are a bargain compared to some other models like the Colt SAA, which can go for tens of thousands of $$$ for an original cavalry model with matching serial numbers.

There is a limited supply - they aren't making any more pre-1898 guns, you know. ;) Collector interest is increasing in Canada and supply is limited to the surviving examples. I expect prices will continue to rise slowly in the long term, and probably more so when the US economy gets back on track.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info ,when I find an auction I am interested in I will let you all know if I go down,in case there is something you would like me to look at. I suppose in the states, you could even find them on kijiji!
Is there a state or area that is particularly rich in antique firearms?
The more antiques we can get into Canada the better!
Cheers Bob.
 
Look at Gunbroker.com, it's an online gun auction website. Not all the sellers will ship to Canada but some do. I've bought several there and had mostly good experiences, a few weren't quite as good as described and a couple were badly misdescribed but that is out of a couple dozen purchases so mostly good. It's the same as buying on the EE - look at the trader rating and ask lots of questions before you buy.


Thanks for the info ,when I find an auction I am interested in I will let you all know if I go down,in case there is something you would like me to look at. I suppose in the states, you could even find them on kijiji!
Is there a state or area that is particularly rich in antique firearms?
The more antiques we can get into Canada the better!
Cheers Bob.
 
Last edited:
Here is a good example why you have to be careful ordering in the US. Go to gunbroker.com and look for item number 282467202. As I write this, the auction is still active. On the third picture, you can see that the barrel is bent, yes BENT. The seller doesn't mention anything, in fact I personally bought a gun with a busted cylinder from this guy before. Of course, he didn't know anything about it. haha.
 
Its because they are buying from the states and selling for profit on the EE.
A false market, and market value.

buy from the states, europe, asia, and middle east yourself.

and its completely legal to carry an antique handgun.

Not sure if I would call it a false market. Some folks don't have the time to search out and go through the trouble of buying from another country. These sellers fill the niche. They can only sell what the market will bear! Some are even on this thread giving us tips on buying from outside Canada. Much appreciated by the way. So if we have the time and cahuna's to try it ourselves, fine, and if not then they can bring them in for us! That is the capitalist way and I like it!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom