Current value of surplus .303Br rounds?

louthepou

Snow-White Le Mod<br>Moderator
Moderator
Rating - 100%
797   0   0
Location
Aylmer, QC
Hi folks,

Anyone willing to guess a current ballpark value for surplus .303Br ammo? I've got some 1943 made-in-India, (headstamp: DI, then Z) and want to sell about half of what I have, but I have no idea whatsoever of reasonable market value. I know I can't really compare with commercial, which retails from $1 to $1.50 a round these days. Thanks for any input...

Lou
 
Condition is always the deciding factor. Was it in the 48 rd boxes? Is it mint? Is it dry? Has it always? Do you have a pict?

There are a few sites to tell you about make of ammo. DI can be two factories

DI Defense Industies, Montreal, CANADA

DI Indian Government Ammunition Factory, Dum Dum, Calcutta, INDIA

http://enfieldking.tripod.com/enfieldking/id12.html

(this sites is a bit confusing)
http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/303headstamps.html

This site is very detailed on 303 Cartridges.
http://enfieldking.tripod.com/enfieldking/id13.html
 
Thanks folks. The rounds are clean, they came to me in "bulk" (a few hundreds). Previous owner said (and is trustworthy) he fired a few and they all went bang. I'll take some pics tonight. I'll open a round and see what it looks like inside, for the fun of it.

Lou
 
Milsup '54 8mm rounds are 50¢, you can probobly get more for .303. War years can get you a nice price for Wall collections. I gave a passing glance at Dominion .303 surplus at the Carp gunshow for regular box price (25$).
 
Lou

Do they look like this?

d1z_303.jpg
 
Yup! (except the year it's 1943)

That's Canadian ammo DI Defense Industies, Montreal, CANADA.

Good ammo to shoot, Some are copper bullets but most is cupro nickel jacket.
Reloadable, and I might add that I have not been able to wear out a case yet at 8X reloading.

Price would be .75 to .80 per round depending if opened (box) and condition (Exe). You should see the anealing colouration on the neck if it hasn't been handled. Less if tarnished and loose.

Regards

Pete
 
Yeah the primer pocket looks "crimped", but otherwise looks "reloadable". Here are a couple of pics as promised. They are loose, but most look great.

Picture115.jpg

Picture113.jpg


Thanks again guys I now know what I have :)

Lou
 
Canuck DI Z 303 rounds

Louthpou,
I brought 4 boxes of 1940's (DI Z 303) 3 weeks ago at a gunshow (all he had left). Each box of 20 cost me $13.95 & I was dead chuffed to get it at that price.
The cheapest new stuff around here is Privi at $22.95/box of 20 (+ taxes).

Peter (Burlington, Ontario)

Yeah the primer pocket looks "crimped", but otherwise looks "reloadable". Here are a couple of pics as promised. They are loose, but most look great.

Picture115.jpg

Picture113.jpg


Thanks again guys I now know what I have :)

Lou
 
Someone really should contract a chunk of ammo from Korea or somewhere (Yugoslavia?). I wish I had the money, I'd order a couple of million each of 303, 30-06 and 8mm Ball - plain wrapper, no brand name. I'm sure it would sell very quickly, there's not a lot of "discount" ammo in these calibres out there. The last case quantity of 303 I saw was UMC and it was $800 (and I should have sucked it up and paid the man)
 
Someone really should contract a chunk of ammo from Korea or somewhere (Yugoslavia?). I wish I had the money, I'd order a couple of million each of 303, 30-06 and 8mm Ball - plain wrapper, no brand name. ...

Yes, it is a good idea. But ... the feds have their rules and their procedures. Only ammunition on the approved list can be imported. Corrosive primers have mercury compounds, that is the tail that wags the dog. NRCan Explosives Branch employees could be injured testing proofs and pressures. So, they refuse to work on them. Therefore, most milsurp ammo are not importable.

If you want to hear the sad truth, ask Johnone at Marstar. Bring a sandwich and don't plan on doing anything else the rest of the day. His stories will make you very discouraged at the Swivel Serpents supposedly looking out for us, and very appreciative of the businesses that support our passions.
 
Lou,

What you have is non-corrosive boxer primed and Nitro-cellulose (the "Z") loaded (not Cordite). Much easier on barrels than Cordite.
Because of this, it is, actually, the best surplus .303 ammo one can find today. Even better than FN berdan primed, 'cos you still have the ease of relaoding it.
 
Back
Top Bottom