custom revolver brass demand for .450, .476, 455 etc?

tactical870

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
I am starting to set up tooling to make some custom brass. How much interest is there in 45 caliber obsolete brass? I am thinking of making up:

.450
.455 mkI
.455 colt


Any other thoughts or calibers I should consider? Anyone know of a source for un-headstamped 45 colt or schofield brass? Thanks
 
14 ga shotgun cases you could get $5 to 8$ each for :)


I finely got my order sorted out only took 5 months and i still dont have any cases. it will be $140 for 20 cases + Shipping if i ever see it tho.
 
I think its a good idea. You could probably put in a order from starline for custom brass to your specs if you buy a big enough quantity, that is how the .45 cowboy special brass was made. For modifying existing brass .455 would be best from the schofield brass, and the small .45 colt rim better for .450 because the small rim fits through the loading gate easier on the solid frame revolvers that use it. I think you would have a decent amount of buyers for long .455 brass, maybe in USA too if your price isnt too high. Maybe you could fill in the existing headstamp with soft solder then restamp over it. If you have a press you could make dies to swage the case rims thickness down instead of turning.
 
Well antique 12 ga shotguns can be rechambered in 14 ga then people can deregister them thats why its a good thing.
they dont now cause the brass shells are impossible to find.
Mine are being custom made for my gun and im good with 20 as they last along time just glue in card wads over the top.
Im gona be OK with my order but if i get another 14 ga set up i would like to buy some more 14 ga cases.
mine is a pre 1898 SXS hammer gun with short barrels.
i have the drawings for the shells somewhere.
 
Well antique 12 ga shotguns can be rechambered in 14 ga then people can deregister them thats why its a good thing.
.

I think what Dingus is describing is sleeving the chamber of a 12 guage and rechambering to accept the 14 guage Greener Police shell. While it is relatively easy to do, when I tried it the patterns were worse than open and I returned both guns back to conventional 12 guage. The 14 guage Police shells I made from AA Winchester plastic shells formed down in a hot die. All other shells would collapse during the forming process.
Unless I am mistaken the gun that Dingus is getting shells for was made as a 14 guage and takes a straight case much like any other shot shell. The Greener Police shell has a 12 guage base up or about 3/4" then steps down to 14 guage.
Sub guage adapters do work in larger bores but my impression is that you have to use a somewhat hot smokeless load in order to get the plastic shot cup to expand and fit the bore sort of. Alternately tubes are used which vary from perhaps 10" to full barrel length.

cheers mooncoon
 
I would buy .455 mk1. Isn't that the same as .455 colt?

I can never remember which is the longer case, the .455 mk1 or the mk11, but I'd be interested in the longer one if the price is right.

Edit-I know some guys that would take some .577 snider brass.
 
I think what Dingus is describing is sleeving the chamber of a 12 guage and rechambering to accept the 14 guage Greener Police shell. While it is relatively easy to do, when I tried it the patterns were worse than open and I returned both guns back to conventional 12 guage. The 14 guage Police shells I made from AA Winchester plastic shells formed down in a hot die. All other shells would collapse during the forming process.
Unless I am mistaken the gun that Dingus is getting shells for was made as a 14 guage and takes a straight case much like any other shot shell. The Greener Police shell has a 12 guage base up or about 3/4" then steps down to 14 guage.
Sub guage adapters do work in larger bores but my impression is that you have to use a somewhat hot smokeless load in order to get the plastic shot cup to expand and fit the bore sort of. Alternately tubes are used which vary from perhaps 10" to full barrel length.

cheers mooncoon



No,,, im talking strait sided 14 Ga shotgun shells.
the 14 ga greener is steped.
the bores in my 14 ga shotgun are 14 ga tho.
not sure how they would shoot down a 12 ga bore with the chambers relined to 14 ga i cant see it being to bad tho as the diffrence in Dia is so slight.
would depend on the loads to.
once i get my 14 ga brass i will post results with pictures as the shotgun is a nice SXS and sports 18 inch barrels with no choke.
 
Try contacting Kerry Jenkins now he's retired he may have some trim and form dies for the 577 and the 577-450 he made me some out of mag tech 24 gauge shotgun brass
cheep and it works great also he used to make 455MKI out of 45LC brass thin the rim and shorten the case 45 schoilfeild brass may work better maybe a little thinner once its shortened pm me for his # if you like.
 
I'd be interested in more info on this sxs. I've been keeping my eye out for a Stevens 14 gauge antique for a while now. Would be more interested in a 14 gauge sxs, interested to know what's out there and what my options are.



No,,, im talking strait sided 14 Ga shotgun shells.
the 14 ga greener is steped.
the bores in my 14 ga shotgun are 14 ga tho.
not sure how they would shoot down a 12 ga bore with the chambers relined to 14 ga i cant see it being to bad tho as the diffrence in Dia is so slight.
would depend on the loads to.
once i get my 14 ga brass i will post results with pictures as the shotgun is a nice SXS and sports 18 inch barrels with no choke.
 
My understanding was that 455 colt was a little longer than 455 mkI. Magtech brass is easy enough to get for the 577 but most guys don't want to pay for it. What is a fair price for custom pistol brass (per piece)?
 
My understanding was that 455 colt was a little longer than 455 mkI. Magtech brass is easy enough to get for the 577 but most guys don't want to pay for it. What is a fair price for custom pistol brass (per piece)?

Cartridges of the World says they are the same case but COTW tends to generalize. They are interchangeable, at least.
 
I'd be interested in more info on this sxs. I've been keeping my eye out for a Stevens 14 gauge antique for a while now. Would be more interested in a 14 gauge sxs, interested to know what's out there and what my options are.


Yes i Know its very intresting.
even more intresting, picture a pre 1898 made lever action winchester shotgun converted to fire and cycle 14 ga brass cases. :cool:

Once i have my 14 ga cases i will do a thread up on my SXS shotgun and the 14 ga cases how they shoot patern ect.
I think it opens up alot of guns now that are antique by age but not by caliber / gage.

The cases i ordered are stamped 14 ga as well.
 
Did I mention I have an 1887 Winchester built in 1887 with a 4 digit serial number? ;)

I will get one one day that needs tlc and redo it, but i need a good supply of 14 ga brass frist then the gun can be rechambered and then become a perscribed antique.
not sure how the brass cases would work in a tube mag with just cardbord wads glued in but they should work or could be made to work.
I love the look of them lever 12 ga shotguns.
 
Back
Top Bottom