Customs Charges on Imported Antiques

Thiopento

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location
Toronto
Hi,

I've been buying antiques from America and shipping them over to Canada and today for the first time one of my antiques was hit with a duty charge of %15 of the total value (that they got off the auction description I had inside). Now, that was over $200 given what antiques cost, I'm wondering if anyone else has been hit with this recently? I'm just really disappointed about it-

Cheers,

Thio
 
Hi,

I've been buying antiques from America and shipping them over to Canada and today for the first time one of my antiques was hit with a duty charge of %15 of the total value (that they got off the auction description I had inside). Now, that was over $200 given what antiques cost, I'm wondering if anyone else has been hit with this recently? I'm just really disappointed about it-

Cheers,

Thio

If you never got taxed for the other guns you bought you have nothing to be dissapointed about you just got lucky all them other times.
As others have said there tax collectors first.
its normal to pay tax on antiques when they come thru. duty is charged if the item was not made in north america like webleys we dont have a free trade agreement with england only the USA as far as i know so only guns made in the USA are really exempt from Duty.
 
The only antique gun that I have bought in the U.S. came to me duty free, it is an 1851 Colt made in London and shipped to Canada for the Militia's of the time (1855) this example is marked Lower Canada. It may have evaded the duty because it was going back where it came from.
 
"Duty" is very different from a value added tax such as GST/PST/HST and both are different from Excise Tax.

If it falls under a free trade act, there is no duty but, tax remains. Excise tax is only for certain goods, usually luxury items.

Duty (if not under a Free Trade Act) varies depending on the type of item and country of manufacture (most countries are MFN, or Most Favored Nation). The MFN rate can be 0 but, not usually.

Some things are also exempt from HST, the various PSTs and GST.

The Postal Import Remission Order mandates that anything over 20$ imported by mail is subject to duties (if applicable) and tax. Most people will not pay on 21$ and up, this is because officers have discretion. If you don't pay and have imported more than 20$ you got cut a break.

Hope that helps
 
Direct import seems to be the best way IMHO. Bought and imported a fine pair of French duelers some time back and as they were definitely antique paid the 5% GST and 7% PST less the allowable reduction for time served in the U.S. No problem with the fact they were "Firearms"-had all paperwork in hand and made life very simple. Have brought in other early pieces and again with enough paper customs are most accommodating.
 
Back
Top Bottom