Cutaway Cartridges

Pig4000

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Location
Alberta
I still don't understand how this is done. What exactly is used to cut through the cartridge?

This is what im talking about.

section2.jpg
 
No bandsaw was used in the preparation of that specimen; only simple hand tools, and a GREAT amount of care and skill.
 
There was a guy at the last Edmonton Gun Show selling them. He said he just used a grinder and a Dremel. Selling them for $15-20. Said it took him about half an hour to an hour to make. Did a nice clean job.

That is the person who made the sectionned .303 in the OP. I was at the Edmonton show with him.
As has been mentionned in the other thread on these sectionned cartridges, a person must be extremely careful, and have a very clear understanding of what he is doing if this work is to be done safely. There was a chap who was attempting to render a small automatic cannon round inert. He wished to drill a hole in the case to empty the propellant. Used a drill press. The inner wall of the casing heated up, the propellant ignited, he wound up with a mangled hand.
 
That is the person who made the sectionned .303 in the OP. I was at the Edmonton show with him.
As has been mentionned in the other thread on these sectionned cartridges, a person must be extremely careful, and have a very clear understanding of what he is doing if this work is to be done safely. There was a chap who was attempting to render a small automatic cannon round inert. He wished to drill a hole in the case to empty the propellant. Used a drill press. The inner wall of the casing heated up, the propellant ignited, he wound up with a mangled hand.

That blows.
 
That picture screams the name of who did it, I dont even need to see the green background.

Go a few pages back, there is a long thread in which it is discussed.
 
I've done quite a few of those, and they are a lot of fun as conversation pieces. As already mentioned, you can do it with minimal hand tools, but you definitely need to exercise care. I use a bullet puller to empty the cartridge, then put a few drops of light machine oil into the flash hole to "desensitize" the primer for a couple of weeks(sometimes it doesn't work, so you still have to be careful). Then I just saw the case in half with a dremel or my bandsaw, and do the same with the bullet. Then snap them back together and carefully sand them down so they are even with each other and all grinding marks are removed. I usually have to superglue the bullet into the case neck to get it to stay. Then I take half of the powder and mix it with a small amount of epoxy (this takes some trial and error. Too much and you get a big glossy blob; too little and the powder will flake apart after a while) and fill the cavity. It's not difficult, but you need to keep safety in mind at all times. I once had a primer go off after three weeks of desensitizing, and I was glad to have been wearing a full face shield and long sleeves. That sucker flew pretty fast. I don't recommend that.

Erik.
 
Back
Top Bottom