Cutting A Loading Port in a 1858 New Model Army .44 Cap and Ball

Re3iever

Regular
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Location
Newfoundland
Why, you may ask , would you want to do this?

I recently purchased a used Uberti 1858 New Model Army .44 revolver as my first handgun, I've always been fascinated with these guns and just got my RPAL last December - I'm looking forward to shooting black powder and experimenting with other aspects of the sport i.e. making my own percussion caps, lead balls etc. I like the idea that any reasonably skilled individual could make all their own supplies to shoot this gun.

Now that being said, my local indoor range takes issue with firing a black powder revolver indoors:p . While I was exploring I came across the concept of conversion cylinders and a light came on for me , I can shoot cartridges (.45 Colt) with the same gun. My original plan was to buy the un-gated version of the Kirst Conversion Cylinder however I found a Kirst Gated Converter available locally from another shootist and purchased it for a reasonable price. And as everyone knows a Gated Conversion Cylinder absolutely requires a loading port .;) And that was my project for today. I'm attaching a link to the video I recorded just in case anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/pif6y5Sn-ho
 
Nicely done! I had a Pietta '58 Remmie that came with a .45 Colt conversion cylinder that someone had done a great job of fitting to the gun, including the same cut you made.

When I use cold blue, I gently heat the application between coats. Seems to work well and allows several applications in a short period.

More recently I had a consecutively numbered pair of Taylors '58 Remmie conversions in 44-40. Lovely six guns, but I found them too large to operate well with (Duelist) one hand, my preferred CAS method of shooting. They were also dimensionally larger than my .44 cap & ball Remmies to the point of being too tight for my leather.

The new owner is quite happy with them.
 
Yes you can. However They’r blackpowder cartridges and blackpowder is the thing that indoor ranges have an issue with. You shoot smokless in that and lose your hand don’t say no one warned you. No blackpowder revolver is rated for anything other then blackpowder. First shot through it with smokeless and it’s a pipe bomb. I can’t preach this Enough because I’ve seen people get this idea again and again and lose their hands or fingers.
 
If you are saying that the conversion cylinders offered by Kirst and others are dangerous with smokeless loads, I say you're talking through your hat. They are made with the necessary quality steel and heat treated. The usual caveat of sensible loads applies.

I see them shot on a regular basis at CAS events with no issues.

If you're so #### sure about their danger to the user, I suggest that you initiate a class action law suit with the people who have had their conversion cylinders blow up. Put up or shut up ..... :>)
 
Yes you can. However They’r blackpowder cartridges and blackpowder is the thing that indoor ranges have an issue with. You shoot smokless in that and lose your hand don’t say no one warned you. No blackpowder revolver is rated for anything other then blackpowder. First shot through it with smokeless and it’s a pipe bomb. I can’t preach this Enough because I’ve seen people get this idea again and again and lose their hands or fingers.

Actually, that's not quite correct, both manufacturers make similar statements to this one about what cartridges and types of powder can be used. Both recommend .45 Colt "cowboy loads" defined as follows, cowboy ammunition is loaded with lead bullets and either smokeless powder, black powder or black powder substitutes in a brass case.# We do not recommend using ammo with a muzzle velocity over 850 fps/12,000psi.#A few manufacturers that make cowboy ammo are: Powder River Cartridges., Black Hills , Bone Orchard , Fiocchi , Ten-X , Ultramax and Winchester.
 
SASS rules disallow loads that exceed 1000 fps. This is a joke as most CAS loads are wimpy, barely making the low, unenforced power factor. The possible exception might be .45 Colt loads with 35 grs of black powder under 250 gr bullets. They are likely around 900 fps from 7-1/2" barrels.

Many reloading manuals list loads for CAS as well as more powerful loads for modern DA and SA revolvers used for hunting in the US.
 
Back
Top Bottom