CVA Hawken

To properly adjust the little screw between he triggers, first set the rear trigger then turn that screw in until the trigger releases. Then back the screw out at least a half turn.

Tried that and the rear trigger was rock solid, couldnt squeeze it. Took more than half a turn before I could use the second trigger. I also noticed that if the hammer was in full #### and you pulled the hammer further back, it would release. Does this mean something is worn out inside or supposed to be like that? I'll be take pictures of it all as soon as I get home.
 
The rear trigger's function is to "knock" the sear out of its notch. It is supposed to accomplish this by its momentum and at rest it should not be overpowering the sear spring.
Have you looked at the lock internals yet?
 
Based on the last tidbit it sounds like the triggers are sitting too high. It needs adjusting or possibly a shim under the trigger to give the sear clearance when cocking the hammer.
 
With the lock off the gun, does it lock up properly each time? If so, the problem is likely in the triggers.
I know mine was a pain in the butt.
You have to play with those two screws a fair bit to get them setup right.

And then tightening the screws on the lock too much was another problem.

If you need spare parts, I may have a gun the I can sell as a parts gun. PM me if you are interested.
 
With the lock off the gun, does it lock up properly each time? If so, the problem is likely in the triggers.

Got the trigger assembly out. It's pretty mucky. With the triggers out of the gun, the lock works perfectly.

90151110151544861007107.jpg


Now that being said, there appears to be a rod, it's what the triggers hit to set off the hammer. It appears to be bent maybe? It's point slightly forward and down towards the triggers. Not sure if it's supposed to or not.

92259910151544866192107.jpg


89478510151544866727107.jpg
 
It should be bent a little, it looks exactly like mine. It may be bent a little too much but don't mess with it yet.

Clean the crap off it and lube it. Then try it again. Looks like this lock has needed a cleaning for quite a while.

I clean mine after 2 range trips or 50 rounds.

If you decide you want to get rid of it, I will take it for what you paid plus part of the shipping. I need a good stock. The rest of my gun is in great shape.

What you may have to adjust is the big screw on top of the trigger group. Then the ones underneath. They control the let off of the triggers.

Not sure if these help but?

008_zps09921287.jpg

004-6_zps88bfdbd9.jpg

001-9_zps1904331e.jpg

007_zps74b16c21.jpg
 
Last edited:
Ok cleaned and oiled. Put the lock back in and put the trigger back in. Tested, hammer was working fine. Put the barrel back into the breach plug, tested again, having the hammer not locking problem. Loosened off the bolt that holds the breach plug down as well as the trigger assembly, hammer started cocking fine.
 
Should just be the one holding the lock in. but if it works then that is good news. But it may indicate you need to do some inletting. Does the wood in the pocket the lock goes into have a shiny spot as if something was rubbing against it? If so, carefully shave a little off until that stops happening.
 
Got her working fine for now it seems. Might need some more tinkering to get the stiffness out of the triggers but she's working again. If you ever decide to get rid of your Hawken parts tbrwlf let me know first :D

I don't plan on ever selling this rifle and plan on picking up some more BP stuff. All I need now is a powder horn, bullet mold for both .50 and .36, and an 1851 Colt Navy to match the civil war one I own! :p
 
I need to get a stock for mine. It was broken. Track of the wolf is your friend. And they ship almost everything to Canada at a reasonable price.

Welcome to the addiction.

I currently have:
2 50 cal percussion 3 if you count the one in pieces.
1 50 cal smoothbore percussion.
2 50 cal flintlocks
2 45 cal one inline, one percussion 3 if you count the wall hanger.
1 54 cal flintlock
1 69 cal musketoon.
1 Ruger Old Army
1 Mortimer pistol (If I win the auction)
 
I need to get a stock for mine. It was broken. Track of the wolf is your friend. And they ship almost everything to Canada at a reasonable price.

Welcome to the addiction.

I currently have:
2 50 cal percussion 3 if you count the one in pieces.
1 50 cal smoothbore percussion.
2 50 cal flintlocks
2 45 cal one inline, one percussion 3 if you count the wall hanger.
1 54 cal flintlock
1 69 cal musketoon.
1 Ruger Old Army
1 Mortimer pistol (If I win the auction)

Wow, you are slightly ahead of me tbrwlf:

1. 50 calibre traditional percussion muzzleloader
2. 10 bore flintlock blunderbuss
3. howdah pistol
4. ROA x's 2
 
Sounds like something is inlet too deep, probably the triggers. If you can find a way to snug up the tang bolt that goes into the triggers without it pulling up the triggers to the point that it gives you issues you should be off to the races.

I would try shims under the triggers first but if that doesn't do it possibly some sort of sleeve for the bolt that's the right length to prevent overtightening might be the answer.


Hope to hear about you getting it out and making some smoke soon! Will probably be the first of many as indicated by others.
 
The coat will run you quite a bit more than the gun did unless you are very very lucky at the thrift store. They are nice though.

You can buy fabric that is very similar in pattern to that and my grandmother has the pattern already from her mother when she made my great grandfather one. I'll probably go this route though as it's easier to find the material. My grandmother says I just have to bring in the fabric.

mntn-man-red-coat-tree.jpg
 
Traditionally you start with a Hudson Bay blanket. Today they start at $300-400 and go up from there.

If you find another good material they aren't too difficult to make.

My great grandfather's was a hudsons bay blacket. You can find the newer hudsons bay blankets on Ebay for around $80 a piece. But I've seen the red and black fabric for sale in sewing stores. Just need to find it again.
 
Back
Top Bottom