DA test?

cycle-m

New member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Location
Chatham-Kent ON
how I can i make sure my gun is safe to fire on DA ? I have 1873 French revolver,in SA I got no problem I can shoot all day .the last owner told me that DA is weak ,but when I'm pulling the Tregger the hammer move and so dos the cyl but how can I make sure it index right every time I'm pulling the Tregger ?
 
Just an idea. But put some fired brass in her then snap away. Then look at the primers to see if they are being struck in the middle or off to the side.

Also use a little grease on your cylinder pin to create a little drag on the cylinder so it won't over rotate
 
Last edited:
I would suggest taking it to a gunsmith. Saying DA is weak doesn't give much info on what might actually be wrong, if indeed anything is. The end goal is to have the gun index correctly and lock up tightly on firing, but the ways one determines this isn't a simple answer. If you're curious, ask your gunsmith to talk you through what he's looking at - for anyone with some skill in gunsmithing it's intuitive, so they'll be able to point out what they're looking for and how they test for it. This way you'll have an understanding of what to look for in the future.

Plus, just getting them to look at it will probably be cheap or free.
 
I would suggest taking it to a gunsmith. Saying DA is weak doesn't give much info on what might actually be wrong, if indeed anything is. The end goal is to have the gun index correctly and lock up tightly on firing, but the ways one determines this isn't a simple answer. If you're curious, ask your gunsmith to talk you through what he's looking at - for anyone with some skill in gunsmithing it's intuitive, so they'll be able to point out what they're looking for and how they test for it. This way you'll have an understanding of what to look for in the future.

Plus, just getting them to look at it will probably be cheap or free.

This advise is only good if your gunsmith isn't afraid to touch antiques.
 
Yes. lock up is another thing. I was not thinking just taking it for granted it would be okay.
If you are not comfortable with your knowledge. It is best to seek someone with a little experience to look at it and point out things so you learn.
There must be someone in your area you could get direction from.

Let's not hurt yourself or someone else
 
Back
Top Bottom