Damascus Barrels

A few years ago Sherman Bell did some articles on Damascus barrels in the Double gun journal to were they were firing Remington proof loads though beat guns.
 
I remember that series. The low pressure smokeless load data - with actual measured pressures - could be very useful.
 
It is too bad that the journal is not available online. I subscribed to the magazine for a number of years but stopped several years ago because it had changed to mostly hunting stories and photo ops of high quality guns. Also, since I kept all of the books I received, the volume was getting to be significant. With the US dollar being sky high right now, the cost of subscription is probably prohibitive

cheers mooncoon
 
I never understood what the publisher of DGJ had against Canadians. The price for a Canadian to subscribe is way out of wack. It used to be worse, but it is still running at about $93 Canadian to get the 4 issues per year at today's exchange rate. About $33.80C more than U.S. customers pay and quite a bit less than I would pay when buying off the rack. It used to be worse. When the dollars were around par or the C$ a bit higher they still wanted the same differential so Canadians were paying way more than what U.S. subscribers did. Even now you could move to Australia or anywhere else and pay $2 U.S. less per year for an annual subscription.
 
I wish I'd kept my old copies with Bell's articles. I still cringe at the thought of testing them to destruction, even in the name of science, but I'd certainly appreciate the loading information.
 
I always used to wonder why Dukes and Princes were using Damascus barreled s/s and I , a humble tradesman, was told that Damascus was junk. Something just didn't add up. Thank goodness for articles by Ross Seyfried and later tests by Sherman Bell.. I've been shooting quality Damascus for years in hunting and Sporting Clays. Most of my Damascus guns are nitro proofed, especially ones that take a pounding week after week in sporting Clays, but for high quality field guns from firms like Wesley Richards I just go by condition whether fluid or Damascus. If the prince is stoning driven pheasants at 40 yds. with 1 1/16 ounce of shot why the heck do I need !/1/4 ounces at high pressure on a 20 yd, grouse. Damn it's been fun.
 
Back
Top Bottom