Decent inletting dye substitute?

NorthCoastBigBore

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Working on a Pennsylvanian-style long rifle - In the past I've used engine oil or grease subs (just a small amount for small jobs), but this won't work on a beautiful maple stock I'm working on without ruining it.


I've tried using a candle with no luck, even burning wood over it, yup tried rubbing the charcoal too. I expect the composition of the candle matters for that purpose?


I am sort of getting by with shoe polish but it refuses to stick to the metal so I'm not getting consistent coverage. I've already opened up the tang too much in one spot I'd like to lock this down.


Any other suggestions are appreciated


I could rob ashes out of my wood stove maybe???

Thanks!
 
I use a couple of things, depending on the situation. Vaseline with either graphite powder or burnt umber artist color powder is not bad but I prefer my little alcohol lamp filled with varsol rather than methanol. I got my lamp at a hobby shop but Dollar Stores or the like should have something similar - like a miniature coal-oil lamp. It burns smoky and makes a good contact identifier when applied to metal that is being inletted into the wood. Keep a BIC lighter handy to save matches and light it only when you need it - don't let it burn any more than necessary to smoke your parts.
Candles will work but are way too slow.
Lipstick will work for small stuff, especially metal-to-metal, but is expensive unless you have enough girlfriends to pass on their stubs.
 
Last edited:
You can buy inletting black paste specifically designed for inletting. "Just a little dab will do ya" so the little container goes a long way. Available from TOTW .
 
Excellent - thanks mooncoon - that gives me another idea, maybe the metal is still too cold in the shop. Heater is on but I can't imagine it's better than 10 degrees in there.

Yup superted, thanks for the suggestion - I had thought about buying it when I ordered the parts but figured I could get by without it. Regretting it now...:) no worries
 
I just go to the drugstore and ask for the cheapest brightest lipstick they have.They look at me strange,but thats alright! Then I sell the left overs to Tac 870 for his hawt dates!! Tac always wants to look his best with a new lady and he has a hard time discovering what colors look good on him!! Horse chicks dont like lipstick...it makes the horse look funny!!!
 
I just go to the drugstore and ask for the cheapest brightest lipstick they have.They look at me strange,but thats alright! Then I sell the left overs to Tac 870 for his hawt dates!! Tac always wants to look his best with a new lady and he has a hard time discovering what colors look good on him!! Horse chicks dont like lipstick...it makes the horse look funny!!!

LOL geez didn't realize he was from Kitimat (sorry guys that's a local joke.....)

That's also a good idea I've read that somewhere before - I can always get my daughters or wife to pick it up and save face

For now the varsol lamp idea is working "just swell" for my purposes - thanks for all the suggestions though.
 
I have a syringe filled with gasoline and put a few drops into a .22 LR case and use a paper match as a wick. It produces a small amount of thick black smoke that covers the metal nicely. If there`s still gas in the case for your second application, just relight it with a Bic lighter.
With the syringe, I`m only playing with a small amount of fuel.
 
that brings back memories of filling a CO2 bottle (soda water size) with turpentine and putting the bottle in the vice then heating it with a torch. The boiling turpentine caught fire and burned with great gobs of thick black soot floating in the air ------------------------------------------- right over to where my friends father had his freshly varnished dingy sitting. Good thing it was my friends idea and him that did the heating :>) :>)

cheers mooncoon
 
That sort of describes the "lamp" I'm using...I'll take a photo. I didn't want to admit to it because of that obvious risk, figured I'd get "flamed" (pun intended). I have some old Coleman lamps somewhere that would have fit the bill but didn't feel like looking (limited time!)

Also have a 19th century kersone lamp that's been in the family since it was new - opted not to use that!

Sooo....I used a lugnut filled with varsol and carefully heated 'er up...

also using a piece of steel I dip in it and then heat that up, between the two I am getting a great black sooty smoke that is working nicely :)

Edit: here's the idea. It isn't a great photo but the blackening on the tang (the part I'm focused on now) is black and even and is working just fine.

uYM01Z3.jpg


Glad I don't have neighbours anywhere close they'd probably be wondering what the heck I was doing...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom