Deer Hunting Muzzleloader

AR15meister

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
6   0   1
Under $1000 whats good?

I am open to all different types.

Also, is it legal to use a double barrelled muzzleloader for hunting in Ontario?

I am curious.

Thanks in advance.
 
Go for a traditional style muzzleloader and shoot round balls. I have been using Lyman rifles for the past 18 years, and have harvested a pile of whitetails with them. It is a whole new word of hunting, and it is my favorite season now.
 
"...double barrelled muzzleloader for hunting..." No reason for them not to be legal. Must be a minimum of .45 calibre for deer, last I saw.
 
Most find the doubles too heavy - but i've had a few occasions when two or three deer came and wished I had one.

IMO this Traditions Pursuit LT at $289.95 from a site sponsor is good value for a sealed breech modern muzzleloader. My buddy uses the heavier version - he likes it but now wishes he bought this lighter LT model - http://www.frontierfirearms.ca/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17_21_386&products_id=1293

I like my smokeless ML-II and it is low maintenance and powerful. My Knight Wolverine inline is less powerfull and requires cleaning lots - but is well made and accurate.
 
Go traditional - not like them inline heathen ;) :p

I don't get to shoot mine much, but I've got a percussion mountain rifle that shoots far better than I do, and is loads of fun.
 
grizzlypeg is right. Go with a savage ML-II. There was one on the EE a week ago for $600. Best gun I've ever owned period. Kills everything I point it at and never misfires.
 
Go for a traditional style muzzleloader and shoot round balls. I have been using Lyman rifles for the past 18 years, and have harvested a pile of whitetails with them. It is a whole new word of hunting, and it is my favorite season now.

I too prefer traditionals and use a Lyman. I wouldn't have it any other way.
 
I have an H&R Huntsman 50 Cal. Bought it used (1 shot :D ) it has been great, good accuracy and has killed everything I have shot it at so far.

I would like to go even more traditional with a Lyman Percussion (Great Plains if I can find one for a reasonable price) in future but really there is no need to spend a $1000 dollars on a BP hunting rifle even though it might be kinda fun.

I actually prefer to hunt with the ML for everything now. So far only deer have been it's target but next year will try for a moose and an elk too.

Good luck with it and hope you have a lot of fun, Bob
 
I am an inline heathen. I bought a Knight disc off the EE last year, and my .270 Win hasn't seen the light of day since! Savage, TC, or Knight (disc or disc extreme) all stand up units.
 
I used to be an "inline heathen" as well ,LOL, but I changed to all traditional guns last year. Mainly due to getting tormented by fellow blackpowder shooters using traditional guns. I'm not sorry I switched though. Although the modern muzzleloaders shoot fantastic and out to longer ranges using the new powders and saboted bullets, I found I may as well have been using a centerfire. It just didn't have the same nostalgia while hunting with them and you certainly didn't need to get as close to your target. Don't get me wrong, I bagged deer with them and they work fantastic, but It just isn't the same as hunting with a traditional muzzleloading rifle and loads. Like some of the other guys who posted, I LOVE Lyman trade rifles. I now own 5 of them in varying calibers, flint and percussion. some brand new and 3 that are around 30 years old now. They shoot absolutely fantastic and can usually be purchased in good shape on the Equipment exchange at reasonable prices too. I bagged my first deer with patched round ball this season. Great challenge and it adds a whole new dimension to deer hunting.
Al
 
if your looking for a double barrel take a look at this.

nice looking gun if you can find one..
traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=REX-101


i like the TC encore endeavor this is what i use.
n657550701_5889533_6123.jpg

n657550701_5889532_5806.jpg


but next year i am going to pick up a savage and try out smokeless, but i dont think it will be to fun.. no smoke :(
 
i have bought a cva hunter model and its been a great gun never miss fires and i leave the powder charge in it for a week and still went off its a cheap gun i would by cheap gun first to see if you like the style/mess/cleaning/of a muzzel loader i must add its a lot of fun hunting with one
 
Lyman GPR in flint. 54 cal. Modern inlines from what I have seen are the greatest deer wounders invented. I'm seeing guys collecting 1 in 4 deer that have been hit.
 
Lyman GPR in flint. 54 cal. Modern inlines from what I have seen are the greatest deer wounders invented. I'm seeing guys collecting 1 in 4 deer that have been hit.

I am no fan of inlines, but I think we can rack up your stat of 1 in 4 collected to the hunters, not the rifle. I watched 3 guys hammer away at a buck and because it didn't fall, they didn't even look for blood. This was an older hunter teaching two young guys how it's done. They never were more than a few feet from the truck.
 
Modern inlines from what I have seen are the greatest deer wounders invented. I'm seeing guys collecting 1 in 4 deer that have been hit.

I gotta call BS on this one.... I've carried my Savage ML-II though 4 seasons and killed the only 4 deer I've ever shot at with it. The one in four ratios are only due to lousy shots and irresponsible hunters.
 
Back
Top Bottom