Deer Hunting Muzzleloader

Lyman GPR in flint. 54 cal. Modern inlines from what I have seen are the greatest deer wounders invented. I'm seeing guys collecting 1 in 4 deer that have been hit.

you need a kick to the ballz if you think that. I shot 4-5 deer with my encore and never had one run!! all of them dropped like a bag of potatoes. and never missed one yet..
 
I don't think it, I know it. So don't bother kicking me. My hunting buddy is a damn good shot with a rifle. He got an inline and the one year hit 4 and collected 1. These were all over 100 yard shots.
Another year we were out. I did the belly crawl and sneak thing using the folds in a field to get close to a couple of deer. He didn't need to. He had a scoped inline. I missed, he fired and figured he missed too. Upon investigation the tracks in the snow were a little off for the one he shot at. After tracking he go it. His first shot hit it in the back left knee from 170 yards. If he hadn't looked close at the tracks that would be another wounded deer not recovered. He has had other deer he hasn't recovered he tell me about.
I won't get into the tales I hear the other Inlinefidels I hear tell of the deer that they have wounded. I hear more tales of wounding than collecting.
I've shot and recovered the 3 deer I have hit with a sidehammer. I run muzzleloader shoots atht eh local gun club before ther season. The folks with inlines show up and the majority haven't a clue what they are doing. I have seen pellets go down range like a flare. They can't hit a target. They have the mentality that they don't have to. They have a scoped inline. If you get an inline get out and spend lots of range time and learn the guns and your limits.
Starpuss your arrogant attitude is typical of those with inlines. You are a real hero stating from another province I need violence done to me for something I think.
 
TC Omega. Drops everything I shoot at...not sure about the 1 in 4 recovery rate. Seems to me a deer will not notice the difference with a BP projectile and a CF. Lots of energy with BP and excellent accuracy. I consistently get 2" groups at 100 yards (50% of the time below 1.5") which is very similar to my 94 30/30 that I hunted with for years. I feel very very comfortable out to 150 yards with my Omega for deer and it requires little holdover at that distance. If people are missing and/or not recovering it is because of the hunter and not the tool they are using. As with any hunting situation you have to know the limitations of not only the hunting tool but also the operator.
 
Lyman GPR in flint. 54 cal. Modern inlines from what I have seen are the greatest deer wounders invented. I'm seeing guys collecting 1 in 4 deer that have been hit.

Don't blame the firearm for the short-comings of the shooter.

There are few in-lines produced today that will not shoot <2" groups at 100 yards (properly benched).

So it comes down to shooter error/ inexperience, and poor shot placement.

If I collected only 1:4 deer shot...I would give up hunting. :rolleyes:
 
The folks with inlines show up and the majority haven't a clue what they are doing

I'm sure the 1st time flintlock/ percussion shooters are all very competent, and need no introduction to black powder shooting. ;)
 
Don't blame the firearm for the short-comings of the shooter.

x2 on that here.

As to original question, you need to decide your preference... traditional or modern. Then narrow it down from there. If you choose traditional, I don't think you can go wrong with a GPR to start and they are relatively available in Canada. If you decide to go with an inline, there are lots of good choices. Go to a shop and handle a few/see what suits you best. If your budget is up near $1000, you will have tons of choice.

Me, I prefer my Caywood .62 flintlock smoothie (see my avatar) and .50 flint fullstock Hawken built from a TOTW kit. But then again I'm more interested in having quiet time in the woods and a challenge, than filling the freezer.
 
Whatever you get, learn to use it. Spend the range time. The inline mentality I see is that the gun can perform miracles. Yes the 1 in 4 recovery rate I see and hear is the hunters fault. They are great deer wounders because of the mind set the hunter has. The hunters are sold that the gun is good to 200 yards so take off hand shots while huffing and puffing walking through the snow or take shots they wouldn't take with a centre fire. It is the mentality. And learn to clean the gun too.
A typical guy I know in these parts once called me up the Sunday evening before the Monday morning season start. He said he just bought a muzzleloader and wanted to know how do you use it. In the following June he asked me how to clean the thing. He never unloaded it from 6 months before. I took it home and unloaded and cleaned it. Yes the breech end of the barrel was pitted from the substitue powder he was using that you don't have to clean right away. In fact one year he never unloaded it at all till the next season. From what I see around here from co workers and at the range in SW Ontario he isn't that uncommon amongst the inline users. Guys won't spend the range time because the projectiles they use are 'too expensive to waste at the range'. They don't limit the range they shoot at because marketing tells them the gun is good to 200yards. What ever you buy, learn to use it, look after it and know your shooting distance limits. I take my rangefinder.
It isn't a centrefire. There is a definite learning curve. BP season is far less crowded than regular season and you will find more enjoyable. If you go traditional and are a do it yourself hands on guy you may end up building your own muzzleloaders. I have.
 
if your looking for a double barrel take a look at this.

nice looking gun if you can find one..
traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=REX-101


i like the TC encore endeavor this is what i use.
n657550701_5889533_6123.jpg

n657550701_5889532_5806.jpg


but next year i am going to pick up a savage and try out smokeless, but i dont think it will be to fun.. no smoke :(

Hey dude. What's up with the 4 rings per scope?
 
When I used to shoot a .50 hawken I could shoot 1" groups at 50 yards. Now I shoot 2" groups at 200 yards with a Savage ML-II. I'll easily believe there are lots of people who can't (and shouldn't) shoot but not because of what type of firearms they own.
 
I shoot muzzleloaders alot both for hunting and competition,I have had many inlines and have always gone back to a sidelock ,become profiecent with what you have and you can hit anything at any range I shoot a round ball 54 cal Browning for hunting, shoot a 58 cal Parker hale carbine for silhouettes, and now I have a whitworth coming ,all side lock rifles, and once I get that 45 cal Whitworth dialed in almost any distance is achievable but I know the limitations of the rifle and load I will not make any stupid shots on any animal unless I know the distance and have practiced many shots at that distance.If you are shooting a sidelock i might say get a 54 cal with musket caps and use blackpowder not the other stuff.
 
Back
Top Bottom