delete please

These big guns tend to command quite a premium.
Is it a shotgun, or is it intended to shoot ball for dangerous game?
 
I don't think that the large falling block actions were ever used for shotgunning. If it is old enough it may be a smoothbore large game gun but most likely it will be rifled. Money, the sky is the limit. Check some of the big auction houses! $$$$$$
 
Hard to get a good idea because the photos are so small. It is definitely not a falling block and I think Tiriaq is correct is saying it is a tip up with a Jones underlever. What is the bore on the gun (diameter)? The gun appears to be a large bore cartridge fouling piece. If the bore is really close to 1" ID, I would expect it to run $2 - $3000 perhaps more. If it is actually an 8 guage (.835"), I would put it more in the $1000 - $2000 range. The reason for the hesitation about guage is that the proportions of the trigger guard area appear to large for a 4 guage. The few that I have seen photos of, the trigger guard loop appeared tiny in proportion to the rest of the gun.

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks for reposting the photos.
Very much looks to be a shotgun, not a dangerous game thumper.
Traces of black paint on the action? Might have been a protective coating for waterfowling.
4 ga. is about 1" bore. I think 4ga uses 4" long cases. Being a British gun, it will have all sorts of information on the bottom of the barrel breech, and in the frame.
 
id get the chamber casted and have cases made for it :) even though its smooth bore it still could shoot round ball

id use blackpowder only and bulky stuff at that 1FG is what you want
 
Definitely a screw-type action, whether Jones or not can't tell from the pictures. Does the action snap closed by itself when you close the barrel?

Also, is there any indication that it had sights at all? If it's rifled, you could probably double the price, but even as a smoothy, it's worth money.

You need to do some more research. There are several good sites that would specialize in this sort of gun.
 
Looks like a fairly high quality gun. A friend of mine has an underlever, British made 4 gauge in similar shape. He has been offered two grand for it and turned it down.
 
Tolley 4 Bore.

John Forsey of Welling (UK) had a 4 Bore Tolley single barrel, with the Jones underlever for sale last year. 40 in Damascus barrel, some case hardening, very clean. Weight 14Lb 12oz.

Advertised for 9990 Pounds..... Of course this was the UK where it is still legal to hunt with these large bore shotguns, and they are very much more popular than here......

Thought it may help.

Regards.
 
OK...I have an interesting piece that I am having trouble getting much info on. It is an Alex Henry single shot falling block [massive] that wieghs 22 1/2 pounds......yes 22.5 pds. Smoothbore, 22 plus inch barrel and has a rear rifle type sight while the front sight is missing and appears to have been more like a shotgun bead. The chamber is quite short at about 1 3/4". I have some pics but don't know how to post so i can email them to anyone who may have some knowledge about this biggy. Is it an elephant gun or harpoon gun or hand cannon or what?
Thanks.....wTc
 
OK...I have an interesting piece that I am having trouble getting much info on. It is an Alex Henry single shot falling block [massive] that wieghs 22 1/2 pounds......yes 22.5 pds. Smoothbore, 22 plus inch barrel and has a rear rifle type sight while the front sight is missing and appears to have been more like a shotgun bead. The chamber is quite short at about 1 3/4". I have some pics but don't know how to post so i can email them to anyone who may have some knowledge about this biggy. Is it an elephant gun or harpoon gun or hand cannon or what?
Thanks.....wTc

You have got a very interesting gun WTC and one that will require a little further research. The barrel may have been cut

IM000714.jpg

IM000713.jpg

IM000712.jpg

IM000710.jpg

IM0007091.jpg
 
Maybe the barrel has been shortened - but the short chamber, weight and heavy barrel suggest a harpoon gun.
 
Tigertrout: My appologies; I did not mean to hijack your thread. The 2 guns have some similarities so maybe we can all learn from the vast amount of knowledge that is frequently displayed on this site........wTc. Thanks for any help fellas.
 
Back
Top Bottom