delete :)

starpuss

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.6%
146   2   0
i picked up a 1871 Remington Rolling Block Pistol that is missing the barrel i got it for a real good deal (under $600) so whats my best bet to make/buy a new barrel for it.

also are the barrels from the Rolling Block rifle and pistol interchangeable ??

i was looking now into 410 shot. or 500S&Wbp

what do you think. is it worth my time and my $$ to give this a try. or should i make it into a 45-70 pistol. or 500s&w black powder.
 
Last edited:
I hope you know what you are about.....the Remington Rolling Block pistol frame is very old and made of iron, and in my opinion should not be used for cartridges with more pressure then the orig. cartridge, the .50 Navy, a very short, low pressure round(BP) of around 12K psi or less. If and when an old RB fails, the firing pin and other parts of the block blow back through the eye cavity causing blindness and in some cases, death. I'm going to pretend that I never heard .500 S &W or 45/70 in the same sentence as 1871 RB pistol. Even light smokeless loads would scare me with this action.
 
A cheaper alternative might be a take-off roller barrel in 12.7 X 44R, which would keep it close to it's original chambering.
I have one 33" long that I took off an 1873 Carl Gustav which is now a 45-70 sporter.
It's square threaded 12 TPI with a 0.975" shank, 1.418" long, milled for a sliding extractor. It has a dark but decent bore, with very deep 6 groove rifling, giving a hexagonal slug measuring 0.505" and 0.480" major and minor diameters.
I don't know if this is compatible with your pistol's receiver, but 12.7X44R is an easy reload, and quite accurate (I have another one, still original caliber).
If interesred, PM me.
Regards, DaveF.
 
Mine is set up in 50 70 as its a shorter tho Fater round i still have to use 50 caliber Round balls pressed right inside my 50 70 case so the round is short enough to just get in the chamber.
I still have to file away abit of the rims in one place on my shorter 50 70s to get them to work.
I have seen one set up in 44 Magnum.
It Worked great to but mighta been a more modern action.
As far as the frame being old this is true but a modern barrel going in there the Chamber takes most of the presure so use a good barrel and use pyrodex and or BP.
The Rolling block action is very strong but im not certin on the presures it can take from smokeless ammo.

Mine has a 10 inch Barrel


Anyway my gun is a power house.
If it were me id do 44 Magnum then 44 Special and 44 Russian can both be shot in the gun.
Edit maby 44 Sp would be safest so a hot 44 Mag dont get in the gun by mistake.

My gun kicks so much in 50 70 with full Pyrodex loads io have to wear gloves and my fillings still feel loose :D


Heres and old picture of mine when i frist installed the 5070 barrel...
1871newbarrel004.jpg
 
Last edited:
maybe ill look into the 44 Magnum. i know they have a very strong action, what kinds of loads do you think i can shoot out of it?

i put my other 1871 Remington Rolling Block Pistol up forsale on the EE so i can get some money to get this one going.


but... i know if make it a 44 Special i can shoot all factory ammo in the gun.
 
starpuss read Ben's post again to answer that question. The strongest 71 actions are the ones that are not antique.
 
maybe ill look into the 44 Magnum. i know they have a very strong action, what kinds of loads do you think i can shoot out of it?

i put my other 1871 Remington Rolling Block Pistol up forsale on the EE so i can get some money to get this one going.


but... i know if make it a 44 Special i can shoot all factory ammo in the gun.

Black powder or Pyrodex is all i shoot in mine. to be safe so a modern 44 Mag ammo dont get in the gun stick with 44 Sp as factory 44 Sp is just about the same as the 44 Russian.
And then a 44 Mag wont chamber.
 
Also I was thinking maybe ill make a 410 barrel drop in. (liner so it can be taken out.) then I can shoot 410 slugs & shot .
I have an old 410 barrel that I can make into a liner. Looks like it should work.

so you think that this would be too much for the frame?
 
Did you get the 50 cal barrel installed? I am constantly on the verge of needing one of these your EE offering is some tempting.

Anyone looking for a shooting bush gun sure could do worse then pick that one up. You must have some lead to send along with to eh? What do you get for safe velocities?

I don't know for sure but I am thinking 410 would be ok but does that make it a non antique?
 
Did you get the 50 cal barrel installed? I am constantly on the verge of needing one of these your EE offering is some tempting.

Anyone looking for a shooting bush gun sure could do worse then pick that one up. You must have some lead to send along with to eh? What do you get for safe velocities?

I don't know for sure but I am thinking 410 would be ok but does that make it a non antique?

(the gun i have on the EE i got some ammo with it. so i dont know what the loads where. but i know it kicked more then most 410 hand guns.

the gun on the EE is not the same gun. i also have two if them. one w.o the barrel. and the one on the EE

i think the 410 should be fine. seeing they have the Granular Filler/Polymer Wad,(shot buffer) to keep the "kick low".
 
Back
Top Bottom