My lady came to Orangeville gun show last Sunday to share some of my love of old arms. I'm no novice when it comes to firearms and edged weapons, but I confess to a woeful lack of practical knowledge when it comes to old black powder arms. Case in point; one gentleman had a lovely matched set of cased Westley Richards dueling pistols. They looked to be about .45 cal. The girlfriend asked if I'd be interested in buying them (like I've got thirteen grand to spare!), and agreed that they were indeed beautiful examples of the gunsmiths art. She asked how much powder it took to charge them, and then I realized that I had no idea. Years ago, I'd read where a guy got his hands on his grandad's old muzzle loader, refurbished it, and worked up the load for it. He did so by putting a ball on a level surface and trickling powder over it until the ball was just covered by a cone of powder. He weighed the charge, and used that as his start load. With his experience regarding old arms, he tweaked the charge upwards until it went off with what he called the distinctive "crack" that told him that he had reached the right load. To me, with no practical black powder experience, it seemed a rather iffy way to determine the correct charge. Are there charts or tables available that tell a novice which black powder or other equivalent propellant to use and in what grain weight? Any good info would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.


















































