Developing a load for my old Schofield six-shooter

Win 38-55

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Last week I took delivery of an original S&W Schofield shipped in 1876 for use by the US Cavalry (see http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183643&page=19 for the first photo and a brief write-up). Here's another photo:

Schof-Plank.jpg


I don't plan to do a lot of shooting with this old vintage six-gun, but I do want to do some on special occasions, so I set about to develop a low-pressure smokeless load that would give me roughly the same velocities as black powder. I have a copy of an 1896 Winchester catalogue that listed their 45 S&W load as 30 grains of black powder under a 250 grain bullet.

My basic rules for developing a black powder pistol load are as follows:

1. Always use powders slower than 2400 (powders slower than 2400 will give a lower peak pressure than black powder for the same velocity)
2. Stay at or under original black powder velocities
3. Aim for a capacity load, slightly compressed to keep burning consistent and E.S. and S.D. similar to black powder loads.

Brass: Starline 45 Schofield
Bullets: 250 grain cast RNFP from Wolf Bullets sized .452 (about .002 undersize to my bore)

NOTE: The original Scofield has a tight throat. For this reason, I strongly suggest you use only soft cast or pure lead bullets. Do not use hardcast. The increased pressure in ramming a hardcast bullet through the narrow throat could increase pressures.

For powders, I thought I'd try IMR 3031 and IMR 4198. Sherman Bell has shown in two published articles that IMR 4198 gives lower peak pressures than black powder. He also has one article showing that IMR 3031 gives even lower peak pressures than either black powder of IMR 4198.

IMR 3031
I figured I'd start with the slower of the two powders. I loaded up just one round, stepped into the back yard, and fired it across my Chrony, then adjusted upwards. Here are the results:

15 grains .. 298 fps (bullet made a 1/4" dent in the green Elm stump and bounced off
17 grains .. 405 fps
19 grains .. 536 fps
21 grains .. 615 (this filled the case to capacity and was slightly compressed)

I had maxxed out and it was clear that there was no way I'd be able to get anywhere near 800 fps so obviously 3031 was too slow. I then moved to IMR 4198.

IMR 4198

I used the same procedure as before, except as I drew closer to the target velocity of 800 fps, I started firing 5 rounds across the Chrony for each load (instead of just one) to get an idea of extreme spread (E.S.) and standard deviation (S.D.). Here are the results for an O.A.L. of 1.399:

15 grains .. 518 fps
16 grains .. 613 fps
17 grains .. 698 fps
18 grains .. 716 fps
18.6 grains .. 776 fps, E.S.=62 fps
18.8 grains .. 791 fps, E.S.=47 fps, S.D.=17 fps
19.1 grains .. 780 fps, E.S.=66 fps, S.D.=27 fps (18.9 grains by other measure ... see note about the accuracy of my scales at end of report)
19.2 grains .. 787 fps, E.S.=70 fps, S.D.=25 fps

At this point, I was near capacity but not compressed. I was not happy with the E.S. and S.D. As far as I was concerned, they were too high. I needed a slightly compressed load to solve this problem. There were two ways to do it; increase the powder or decrease the O.A.L. (seating the bullet slightly deeper to compress the powder). Since I was near the velocity I wanted, adding more powder was really not an option, so I decided to seat the bullet 0.010" deeper to the upper edge of the crimping groove. This did the job, as you can see from the results below:

19.1 grains .. 773 fps, E.S.=20 fps, S.D.=7 fps (O.A.L.=1.389)
19.2 grains .. 793 fps, E.S.=30 fps, S.D.=12 fps (O.A.L.=1.389)

For comparison, a similar black powder load published by Mike Venturino in Shooting Sixguns of the Old West gives the following results for FFFg

27 grains .. 805 fps, E.S.=35 fps. with a 239 grain cast bullet.

I tried 19.3 grains but didn't get the full 5 shots to register on the chrony, but of the three shots that did, I got a velocity of 811 fps with an E.S. of about 25 fps.

I'm a pretty conservative fellow, so I decided that I would settle on 19.1 grains of IMR 4198 for 773 fps.

Finally, it was time to see how this load shot. I decided to shoot at 50 feet so that I could compare the 5-shot group with Mike Venturino's published group for his FFFg load cited above. I rested the sixshooter on a bag of bird seed on a picnic table in the backyard. A bag of bird seed is a poor substituted for a sandbag ... way too mushy. Furthermore, I'm a pretty poor pistol shot. I got a 5-shot group at 50 feet of exactly 4". For comparison with Venturino's load cited above, he did three groups of 5 shots each and got 5.5", 4.13", and 4.75", so it looks like my load is alright and compares favourably with black powder in velocity, E.S. and group size. However, my peak pressure is lower, with the result that the pressure isn't even enough to expand the Starline brass to seal against the chamber walls. The result is that soot leaks back along the sides of the case. However, I'll take dirty brass in exchange for a nice low peak pressure in this classic old gun. Here's a photo of the target:

Schof-Targ.jpg


Note: I only have a balance beam mechanical powder scales. Between 18.9 and 19.0, I noticed that there is a 0.2 grain discrepancy, with 18.9 = 19.1 when the transition is made. This is another good reason to work up your load and not start at the max. Your scale may not give the same reading as mine.
 
Last edited:
Thats very intresting.
But the Accuracy is a problem.
i wont be happy with that at all.
I know your just getting started but 4 inch groups at 50 Ft!
No offence Kirk but off a rest you should be getting 2 inch or less.
I havent Cronographed all my Schofield loads but the old Webley Pryse i had Chroned at just over 600 FPS with a 5.3 TB load and it shot 2 inch groups at 75 Ft off a rest.
Maby your Bullets arnt that Great.
Try a .454 Keith 250 gr style bullet.
A gun like yours should shoot 2 inch groups with a 7 inch Barrel.
Are your bullets .452 cause if they are theres a start to bad Accuracy right there!
You need .454 DiA bullets in these old Canons. I get all my Bullets specialy cast!

I used to shoot RD nose bullets to but found the keith bullets way way Better + they cut full 45 Caliber holes in stuff which i like alot.

I would rather a slower bullet thats Right on than a 100 FPS faster bullet thats gona miss ;)

Thats a great picture by the way i saved a copy of that!
 
My bullets are .452 (I just added that note in my initial post). That makes them about .002 undersize. Also, the birdseed was constantly moving out from under the gun. I need to get some sandbags (or kitty litter bags) made so that I'll have something a little more solid to rest the pistol on. The bore is excellent, with no pitting and sharp rifling, so it's likely to be the undersize bullets. I bought a box of 500 a few years ago and am trying to use them up between the Schofield and my 45 1911 Springfield Armory. When they are gone, I'll get some proper bullets.
 
Kirk PM me your Address i will mail you a couple Dozen .454 Dia Special Cast bullets that i get made. Your doing alot of great work here!
Im positive with my Bullets your Groups will shrink to half that size.
Check out the Old target Below.
thos are three 4 shot groups
You need the bullets to be .454 and mine are ex!
that a 5.3 gr of TB keith .454 x 250 gr Bullets fired outa Starline Schofield case at 75 ft

click to enlarge!
I just layed my new wilkinson ontop the old target cause i like it so much and it can shoot unaltered 45 Schofields :D
 
Last edited:
Thank you very much for sharing this, that schofield has found it's self a very deserving home!!
Thanks also to Dingus for providing the bullets for your next round of tests. Once you are hooked on the bullet type he is sending lets see if we can get a run of a few thousand cast soft to split.
 
I have an 1894 Winchester in 38-55 that was made in 1894. This was before they had perfected their nickel-steel barrels for smokeless powder in 1895. A black powder guy that I know, recommended AA 5744. He said that it had almost the same pressure curve as black powder, and he used it for practice between his black powder shoots. I like the easy clean-up. KD
 
Last edited:
Any one want to buy the unique powder I wont be using anymore.LOL.

Email heading to ammomart for new powders.

38-55 with these kinds of perfectly safe loads you can shoot that revovler 100 times a day for years with out devalueing it abit, enjoy your beautiful investment.
 
Last edited:
I have an 1894 Winchester in 38-55 that was made in 1895. This was before they had perfected their nickel-steel barrels for smokeless powder in 1895. A black powder guy that I know, recommended AA 5744. He said that it had almost the same pressure curve as black powder, and he used it for practice between his black powder shoots. I like the easy clean-up. KD

I have an original Winchester 1894 in .38-55 as well, probably very close to your serial number. I've developed a very good load using 5744. I don't have my file here at the moment, but if you're interested, PM me and I'll send you the info. Your black powder friend was right. 5744 has a slightly lower peak pressure than black powder for the same velocity.

David, I still use Unique in my modern 1911 45 ACP.
 
I like using triple7 in my S&W new model #3 in 450 boxer has a little more power than pyrodex grouping was good mine has a 7.5 barrel ,I found the 454 Keith mold to be the best in mine my mold is a RCBS 255gr . I make my own lube I shot my first target on the weekend beautiful gun to shoot . then some empty powder cans got shot of the fence too much fun. I sent a pic of the target to Dingus will try to post it and some gun pics here . me and computers are not the best of friends.
 
Kirk,

Glad to finally see a post and some pics of the Schofield and your first load work up. Too bad you wouldn't have had her when I was by your place a few weeks ago. She's a beauty. Looking forward to seeing how you make out with the .454s! Keep us posted!!

Matt
 
Just wanted to tout the .454 250grain Keiths bullet abit here in this thread.

First let me say I had previously been sceptical about anything that was'nt a 265 grain HB bullet in the webley revolvers. Why I don't know cause I never exactly was driving tacks with them. LOL.

Any way I had a chance to shoot some this weekend and all my prejudices were dispelled even at modest veloicities they were equalling or bettering the HB bullets.

The extra wiggle room they give in OAL and powder space is also great and could help make the powders 38-55 experimented with more usable in the webley case.

Sorry I am just liking those keith's bullets alot and can't wait to hear how they work out in a schofield.
 
M.T. Chambers makes the 255gr. Keith in .452 or .454 in any hardness to suit, I think, however you are missing the boat on accuracy.....properly constructed black powder loads would probably be most accurate. You will need a bullet like the Keith,cast soft with the large grease grooves and BP lube. You may also want to try Trail Boss for light smokeless loads. The powders you are trying will give you low pressures but great variations and thus poor accuracy with varying amounts of unburn't powder. They are rifle powders, plain and simple. The Wolfe bullets usually have 1 mini-groove for lube and the hard lube used is ineffective.(check it out)
 
Nice Case!
I gota make one for my Rare nickled Comercial 2nd Model 45 Schofield.
I asume Comercial models woulda had a case of some kind.
be nice to get a picture of and orignal case.
I didnt like the grip on mine when i frist got it but i do now!
took abit to get used to it is all.

Click on pics to enlarge


 
By gum, Meanea! That is a very nice display case! I was kicking myself just yesterday, for selling that Schofield. The more I look around, the less likely it looks like I'll be able to afford one again in that condition. However, I really do like the 2nd Model American I got instead, so I can't really complain. Beautiful display case! It's good to see that that old classic is being well taken care of.
 
There's a mystique about an old sixgun that once rode on the hip of a US Cavalry soldier in the American west, that no other antique sixgun has.
 
There's a mystique about an old sixgun that once rode on the hip of a US Cavalry soldier in the American west, that no other antique sixgun has.

Well some of the British Antique six guns seen some pretty intence action in South Africa on a British soldiers hip to! so they fall into that Mystique as well :p
But this thread is about Schofields so i get your drift ;)
 
Old Roy

There's a mystique about an old sixgun that once rode on the hip of a US Cavalry soldier in the American west, that no other antique sixgun has.

Kirk I have a S&W historical letter in my hands signed by Roy Jinks. It contains the info on your, Sorry I mean My new Schofield six shooter
About 1 page of historical info on the Schofield and 1 paragraph on this one.
Short story
It is a S&W Model 3 Schofield second model
US government contract
45 S&W Schofield
Shipped Oct, 12 1876 to US Government, National Armory in Springfield Mass
Shipped with 7" barrel and blue finish with smooth walnut grips
Approx Value US$ 27,575
Roy Jinks

Meanea
p/s Kirk Value was a joke!!
 
Back
Top Bottom