Differences between the 38's?

Talquin

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I am getting a webley mark IV in 38 smith and Weston and was looking for ammo online and I see a few different types of 38. Is the caliber I am looking for known under another name or what can I safely shoot in my pistol?
 
.38 S&W Webley

Just what you said - .38 Smith & Wesson ( .38 S & W ) - for the Webley it should "really" be the 200 grain British loading ( .38-200 ) but the normal 145 grain bullet is likely to be all you can find commercially. DO NOT try .38 Special / .38 ACP / .38 Super - and don't reload heavy in that old break action. Don't know where you are located but picked up Winchester .38 S&W at the Yorkton Home Hardware last spring. If in the east try Epps. Do not expect more than minute of barn door out of it;). Kayceel
 
I use a lee loader so this will be easy. there are only two places I know that sell pistol ammo in Winnipeg ; cabela's and whole sale sports so I think I am all ready to go.

I assumed there would be some recoil seeing as it was used by Britain.
 
Negative on the Steyr so far. I bought some brass, but never did end up getting the 38 Super die set from the girlfriend. I think it might need a part or two to get it running....very light hammer tension.
 
I've found 38S&W at WSS here in Edmoton so they do stock it from time to time.

Save the brass and reload, you wont find the proper sized bullets .361 but I have not had a problem using .357-.358 bullets
 
If you have dies you can make real good temporary ammo using 9mm brass. Drop a 9mm in the chamber and make sure the chamber has a lip in it to catch the brass.

I used to use the .357 -.358 hollow base wadcutter bullet to amke ammo, on the theory the base would expand and fill the over-sized barrel. That worked fine, but the last batch of ammo was made with a 158 SWC, and it worked just fine. I don't have 38S&W dies - I just use my 9mm dies. Phyiscally, the 38S&W is like a rimmed 9mm.

Although the 9mm brass might fit perfectly DO NOT USE 9MM AMMO. It is around 35,000psi wheras your revelver like ammo to be around 10,000psi.

Here is a cylinder loaded with both 9mm and 38S&W brass.

9mmin38SW1.jpg
 
I've found 38S&W at WSS here in Edmoton so they do stock it from time to time.

Save the brass and reload, you wont find the proper sized bullets .361 but I have not had a problem using .357-.358 bullets

You just might. I scored a small bucket of cast 160gr SWC 38 bullets a couple of years ago that mic out to .361. Work real nice in my Enfield.

(E) :cool:
 
Back
Top Bottom