Dirty Surplus Ammo

PETERDREHER

New member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to shooting and need some advice. I just received some 7.62x25 surplus 1951 brass cased ammo that is quite dirty/blackened with age?? Is it safe to shoot this ammo? Can it be cleaned? I would app.reciate any advice offered. Thanks
 
I have shot ammo 10 years older than that (303) as long as it will cycle in your firearm I see no need to clean it, Is it grossly pitted or just the case is tarnished/dull ???
 
i shot a load of 1942 .303 last weekend and some of it had what look like corroded finger prints on it, green and rough to the touch, but it all fired fine
as long as the case isn't scary with pitting, it should be fine
 
"...7.62x25 surplus 1951..." Most likely corrosively primed. Clean accordingly. It very likely wasn't stored properly either.
 
I'm new to shooting and need some advice. I just received some 7.62x25 surplus 1951 brass cased ammo that is quite dirty/blackened with age?? Is it safe to shoot this ammo? Can it be cleaned? I would app.reciate any advice offered. Thanks

Yes 51 at 12oclock,6 point star at 7oclock aym.comes in brown boxes 40 per box. I have box of this ammo. It looks like its all covered in green death corrosion. However it is not a corrosion but some kind of lube that was sprayed on the rounds.
I fired few boxes of it, they fire ok, but I noticed this ammo is not as accurate as bxn ammo with steel cases.
Otherwise its good to go.
 
I really hate to admit it, but, any lots of ammo Im 'unsure' of I will cycle them a few times, then point down range and turn my head :)
 
yeah some was wicked smokey and some were the old cordite loaded ones too, I could see the paper wad flying

i have pulled alot of cordite .303 rounds and never found paper in them... that wisp you see leaving the barrel is actually the cordite ash... neat eh?
 
the .303 cordite rounds i have pulled do have a cotton (or whatever) wad and i do see it fly out the barrel...

i've experienced a lot of "click-bangs" with cordite.split necks too...
 
Back
Top Bottom