Do any companies currently sell a double barrelled flintlock musket or rifle?

kevinh

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Location
Toronto, CANADA
Hey everyone,


I know of two companies that sell double barrelled flintlock fowlers/shotguns but does anyone sell double barrelled flintlock muskets or rifles.
I think you can find percussion double barrelled muskets or rifles but I would love to find a flintlock version.

Thanks in advance for any tips or guidance.

Thank you

Cheers,
Kevin
 
Double barrel flintlock muskets or rifles would be rare birds indeed.
As far as shotguns go, there is an Indian flint double shotgun.
Pedersoli reported last year that they are working on a flint double. Do a google. The published photos suggest that the prototype has some odd features that really eliminate it as being representative of a classic flintlock double.
 
Generally all breech plugs are threaded and removable. Pulling breech plugs from antiques can get complicated, though.
The military heritage double is the one made in India. Best to do research about Indian muzzle loaders before buying.
 
Hey Tiriaq,

Oh, I guess they are more dangerous (black powder rifles with breech plugs)?

Ahhh...the indian quality control/design is dangerous or week eh? I could see that.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,
Kevin
 
Do any of you know if anyone ever made a flintlock rifles with a removable threaded breech plug?

A local builder from some years back used a large size fine thread hex socket set screw as a breech plug as a regular feature. The intent being to remove it each time to allow for easy cleaning. The tang that mounted to the stock has a rounded stub sized to fit into the hex to hold down the rear of the barrel. It's not the traditional way though. So I've never seen another like it. I've got one of his flint locks and I really enjoy the ease of being able to remove the plug and allow pass through cleaning. It's a real treat and speeds up the end of the day cleaning. So much so that I've thought about going to the effort to pull my other more traditional breech blocks and ease the end of the barrels with a stone just enough to allow the plugs to torque down to position with something less than superhuman strength. Or possibly to remove enough to allow for a small copper ring gasket that crushes to shape.

Some of the local smoothbore shooters are using the Indian guns from Military Heritage. The amount of work needed to make them reliable ranged from very little to quite a lot. One guy had to replace the frizzen to one from another similar lock and modify it slightly as the original frizzen was too soft to spark and defied efforts to harden it.
 
The Numrich Arms muzzleloaders used an allen head screw for a breech plug. The tang had a matching protrusion.
Conventional breech plugs can be removed with a suitable wrench.
A breech plug should set up against a shoulder in the barrel counterbore, as well as against the barrel at the tang. It is the former that seals.
Don't know what you mean, "they are more dangerous, black powder rifles with breech plugs". All muzzleloaders better have well fitted breech plugs.
 
Thanks for the tips BCrider!

Thank you also tiriaq!
Oh, I was just trying to understand what you meant by, "Pulling breech plugs from antiques can get complicated." I thought you meant having a breech plug is detrimental to the safety of firing.
I really don't know much about black powder muzzle loading firearms. It's just something I want to get into.
 
Well, its styling has nothing in common with an antique. If Pedersoli were to style the gun as well as their Mortimer single flint, it would be pretty nice. As is, at best it could be a usable double flint shotgun. There have been no updates about the project for over a year.
 
Oh, I was just trying to understand what you meant by, "Pulling breech plugs from antiques can get complicated." .

Most original breach plugs have been in place for 150 years or so. That means that they can be rusted in place and usually and hopefully retaining full threads, are a pain in the bum to unscrew or at least to unscrew the first part turn. That can often require heat and in the case of double guns, that also means protecting the solder joints on the ribs. Also if the gun has a percussion drum screwed in or a vent liner screwed in, that may go through the breach plug and for that reason have to be removed before the plugs can be unscrewed. On double guns you also have to make a special wrench to remove the cylindrical plug (because the other plug overlaps it with what looks like a continuation of the top rib)

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom