Do I Need A Lube/Sizer

One Lung Wonder

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Aaaaaadmontin AB
I have a Uberti 1876 in 45-75 and cast my own bullets for it. Accuracy has been terrible and is nothing on par with what the back powder geeks are getting from their single shot BPCR guns. Do any of your guys shoot black powder in a lever gun? Any tips or pointers are sincerely appreciated...
 
Well you can pan lube - but a sizer is highly recommended, although the size they come out of the mold at can vary from "perfect" to "wow that ain't right", depending on your bore and the alloy used, heat etc. Slug your bore and figure out what you have then order a sizing die 0.001-0.002" oversize (other folks may have their own view of this).
 
I've shot lots of 'as cast - hand lubed' bullets in my BPCR's before I got a sizer/luber. Depends on how accurately your mould casts a bullet.

For example, when I got my first Shiloh .50 '63 and later a 50-70, my Lee mould cast bullets at .515 and they shot very well. Now I size them all to .512 to suit the .510 bore.
If you look at the original Sharps 'Xmas Tree' bullet design, it had driving bands of several diameters to be a 'one-size-fits-all' proposition.

I recommend that you sign up on the Cas City forum and commiserate with other '76 owners on the list. Lots of 'been-there-done-that' information.
 
I never use my lubrisizer anymore. I just hang rags on it :). This only works if your molds produce the right sized bullets though.

I'm a single shot BPTR and schuetzen shooter though, lever guns not so much. I have a couple of leverguns that I occasionally shoot BP out of. I haven't spent much time with them though. I'd be interested to hear what the levergun guys are doing to keep up accuracy for long strings. My Marlin in .45 Colt shoots pretty well at 100m with FFg, but it fouls out and accuracy drops off before long.

Chris.
 
I cast for a buddy who has the Uberti 1876 Centennial in 45-75. My mold drops the 340gr soft lead bullet at .458"

I pan lube them with homemade black powder lube (beeswax, paraffin, crisco) and then stuff them down on top of 65gr of 2F Goex.

Accuracy isn't too bad at 50yds, about 3". (Considering his eyesight, and the buckhorn sights).

This is my experience only. The advice given above is also sound, and may be required for good performance in YOUR gun with YOUR bullets.
 
As mentioned, there's no need to size if the bullets diameter is correct for the groove diameter. Usually about 2 thou over.

What are the other details of your loads? Lead hardness needs to match the pressures being generated (more an issue with smokeless). Bullet length needs to match the rifling twist. Lube needs to match powder and so on.

More information will get you more help. Somebody here or the other forums should be able to steer you right.
 
CAS guys regularly shoot .45 LC and 44-40 lever action rifles in matches using SPG lubed bullets and softer lead bullets. Hard lead and smokeless lube does NOT work! Some guys include a grease 'cookie' if their bullets don't pack enough lube for a 24''-30" barrel.

I use a Bore Snake wet with Ballistol half way through a match and don't have an issue with BP fouling or a drop off in accuracy using my '66 or Henry in 44-40.

Again - sign up on Cas City and learn .....
 
I did the pan lube thing and don't mind it but I wouldn't mind going 'whole hog' on my 1876 by slugging it and tweaking loads but I'm a little hesitant - I've never done anything like that before and reloading BP cartridges is still a bit new. I've kinda let the big lever gun slide as I potter about with other guns. I made my own bullet lube from some recipe I got from the fellas over at Cast Boolits and it seems to work. One of the range's black powder geeks told me that if you get a slight liquid ring around the muzzle of the barrel - it means your lube is good and all is well. I dunno how accurate that statement is but if it's true I should be alright.
 
You don't need a lubesizer

Without any info like your bore/groove diameter, bullet diameter, bullet type, loads used or alloy your going to be shooting in the dark to find an accurate load.
 
Last edited:
I have a buddy that has the same rifle you have. His experience with it is to use nothing harder than WW and nothing heavier than 340 gr (the load he uses is a light smokeless powder load but I don't know the particulars). Most commercial bought boolits are harder than WW so he cast all his bullets for his 45-75 (sized to .458).

Your quest for "Other SS BPCR accuracy" can be a hard thing to master as it can mean so many different things, sure some BPCR and lever guns for that matter can shoot cloverleaf groups and we've all seen the pics of such but are those groups realistic for all BP/Boolit guns...not a chance...to many variables to the cast bullet, powder consistency, lube effect and a # of other things. What I'm trying to get across is to get as good as you can but don't be surprised or disappointed if that may be 3'' or 1" depending on a lot of things.

Two pieces of advise for new Boolit shooters; 1st, read everything you can find on the subject either on the internet or in print (lots of old books on the subject that are still very relevant today). 2nd is to get used to LOTS of trial and error with more short term frustration than long term gratification. You will find that trial & error is more costly in the long run than the "read a lot" method of learning the finer points.
 
Well....I know this is an old thread, but still I think you people are the best to educate me a little.

Hi all, long story short: I bought a original Winchester Model 1876 deluxe in 50-95. Not in too good shape....decided NOT to have it restored $$$$$.
Been thinking of buying a Uberti (From what I read, NOT a Chaparral) and display them together. One or two ''safe-queens'' will have to go for that to happen.
This will be my first experience in reloading, and a friend will help me start. (Hopefully)
Now, tell me if you will: Are you happy with your 1876? Are they as nicely finished as let's say, any other Uberti...? I know they're rare! Am I gonna have to consider selling a kidney to eventually get one? Do they cycle/eject properly...? Many thanks for any input,

Eric
 
Back
Top Bottom