Do we have any nagant revolver gurus in here?

tula

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Just curious about any info I could get on an early first year 1887 that I picked up a few years ago, it’s unlike any of the Swedish made 1887s. Mines made by Nagant in Belgium, and of a much higher grade of finish and hardly used. Marked Nagant brevett and a high luster blue. Anyone who’s knowledgeable on the topic I’ll email a few pics to. I’ve never figured out how to post pics here and am pretty computer illiterate.

Tula
 
I have one, its serialized a little earlier than yours. Also excellent finish, including the staw case hardening on trigger and hammer.

Like the OPs its a very early piece made by the Nagant brothers not later production by the Husqvarna factory. It has pre 1893 Liege proofs, like the OPs revolver the 3 digit serial indicates it was made in the the first year of production for this model(1888). It would have been part of the original Swedish Army's order of 2600 revolvers that was produced by Nagant. It has the Swedish inspection officer's initials CL -Christofer Lemchen one of two officers assigned to inspect and accept these for the army. Based on the rack markings looks like it at some point ended it's martial duty and was reissued to Swedish paramilitary Landstormen unit( akin to a territorial army) probably pre WWI but certainly could have served well past WWII.

9PCAbqQ.jpg
 
Last edited:
Beautiful, they sure aren’t a common piece, like all the French and British pistols you see on here daily.
 
Had a rash of bad dealings with a bunch of newbies with low to no ratings, who were clueless about antiques and figure I’m like a store so they can do returns anytime they want. Have to draw a line somewhere.
 
What I find very odd with mine is it lacks any Swede inspection marks and unit markings at all. It’s completely unblemished.

I have one, its serialized a little earlier than yours. Also excellent finish, including the staw case hardening on trigger and hammer.

Like the OPs its a very early piece made by the Nagant brothers not later production by the Husqvarna factory. It has pre 1893 Liege proofs, like the OPs revolver the 3 digit serial indicates it was made in the the first year of production for this model(1888). It would have been part of the original Swedish Army's order of 2600 revolvers that was produced by Nagant. It has the Swedish inspection officer's initials CL -Christofer Lemchen one of two officers assigned to inspect and accept these for the army. Based on the rack markings looks like it at some point ended it's martial duty and was reissued to Swedish paramilitary Landstormen unit( akin to a territorial army) probably pre WWI but certainly could have served well past WWII.

9PCAbqQ.jpg
 
What I find very odd with mine is it lacks any Swede inspection marks and unit markings at all. It’s completely unblemished.

Which probably makes it a commercial revolver. To compare, there are commercial Russian Nagants out there made in Liege - they generally have a much nicer finish than contract ones - whether this is because they had been taken care of better or actually were made to a higher standard, I don't know. The high lustre blue on the commercial ones is very noticeable though. I.e. I've had two Liege 1898 production Russian Nagants side by side - commercial and mil contract and the most notable differences not attributable to repairs were the military acceptance stamps and the bluing.
 
Back
Top Bottom