Do you dump your BP brass in water at the range?

41 Colt

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
307   0   0
Location
BC
I bring a second water bottle when I shoot BP and my brass goes in it right out of the gun. When I am done shooting I shake the bottle and the water turns black. When home I do my usual cleaning of decapping, 50/50 water vinegar for 10mins and then hot soapy water, and my brass comes out SO clean, aside from the discoloring. I did a control and left some fired brass out until I got home from the range and it wasn't as clean when finished.

Anyone else do this?
 
I have enough junk to take with me to the range and if I remember to bring this stuff, then I'll forget something else. I dump my BP brass in hot soapy water when I get home, let it soak, rinse with clean water, dry, tumble and as you know; cases will last forever.
 
I've used black coffee to clean my brass, seemed to work better than water. Have to use it outside though, stinks to high heavens.

Cheers nessy.
 
I find hot soapy water (laundry or dish soap seems best), a good rinse then wiping dry keeps my brass very clean and virtually unstained without a need for tumbling....

I've used black coffee to clean my brass, seemed to work better than water. Have to use it outside though, stinks to high heavens.

Only single guys get away with cleaning up BP in the house...... I'll be happier cleaning my BP guns in summer....
 
I use 50/50 water vinegar I seen it on YouTube and it works well for me. (I keep a Water bottle full on it. (Also remember to mark on it what’s in It. trust is it doesn’t taste good....) also this way you can give they a little shake to clean them. (also i keep them in there for a MAX of 15 min.
 
Strait water at the range, or some soap/vinegar in there too? Doesn't seem like a bad idea if you've got the room.

Just water. I use the water vinegar mix when I get home as you do not want to leave the brass in the vinegar solution for very long, 10 mins max I have read.

For soap I use Mr Clean and hot water. No tumbling. My BP brass comes out cleaner than my smokeless brass with the cleaning method I use. Might be different if I had a tumbler.
 
BP brass

I take a 2 liter plastic pop bottle half full of water to the range and plunk the brass in it as soon as my shooting session is done......sometimes I am away at a shoot overnite and you cannot leave the fouled brass that long without immersion....when I get home I use a mild vinegar/water solution for a few minutes, then rinse with fresh water and tumble the brass...
 
Shoot all day 45/70, 50/70 - brass goes back into box. Get home that evening - decap - into old 1 gallon white plastic vinegar bottle filled 1/2 water and 1/2 white vinegar. I use same solution for weeks or until I can't stand the smell anymore :puke: pour contents thru screen and let brass dry. Dump brass into tumbler and about two hours later it's shiny.
 
If I think of it I take a jug of water and dish soap to drop the brass in.

Half the time I still find a couple shells in the bottom of the range box a month later that I forgot to throw into the jug. That mottled pattern just adds character. :D
 
forget the vinegar, just soap and water,when i get home, i use a small nylon brush in my portable drill, after wetting them in soap and water then rinse with hot water,, vinegar stains your brass, and stinks, i dont tumble them either,, my 2 cents ,,wade
 
Back
Top Bottom