Do you know what this would be?

fuse

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I don't have any pics but can grab some if needed.

It's an old black powder rifle. Long. Six sided barrel. Says "KETLAND" followed by "B.C." and what may be a small 8 or dot? It has a brass (?) door on the right side of the stock, cheek weld on the left side, and an eight pointed star on the left side of the stock. Also a black powder bottle (brass?) that has a wildlife scenery and a bird (grouse?) on it. Any thoughts as to what this gun may be?
 
Photos would really help.
I think I know what it might be, but a lot more information is needed.
 
Ketland was a trade-name for locks. The barrel, I bet, is octagonal, not hexagonal, the patchbox is typical of the genre, but without any pictures you are f&rting in the thunder with any attempt at identification. My reference books show details of over 2400 gun-makers who just might have assembled this gun, and that's just in America. The pointy star is a typical Lancaster county feature, though, so although that cuts the numbers down considerably, it is anybody's guess without a name on the barrel to give us a clue.

It could even be a replica, dating from the late 1950's on.

Photos are needed here.

tac
 
I finally grabbed some photo's. It's 58" long.
IMGP0052.jpg


Octagonal Barrel
IMGP0051.jpg


Receiver
IMGP0055.jpg


IMGP0058.jpg


IMGP0056.jpg


IMGP0062.jpg


Star

IMGP0060.jpg


IMGP0049.jpg


Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 
The lock was made by Ketland & Co. Prolific makers of guns and locks. Very much doubt that Ketland made the gun. Lock was originally flint. Gun may have been. Look at the stock, behind the hammer, see if it is cut so that the inner shoulder of a flint #### would stop against the top of the lockplate.
Barrel appears to be smoothbore now, may have been rifled originally, bored smooth later?
Any proof or maker's marks on the barrel breech?
Pretty sure the gun is American made, I would guess ca. 1820 -1830. Maybe New England.
Interesting gun. You might want to wipe the barrel down with a bit of oil to stabilize the surface, stop the corrosion around the lock, hammer drum. Be very, very careful with any "cleaning".
 
Thanks guys. I'll grab a few more angles and oil it. I'm not doing any cleaning of it. It's nice just the way it is. What I'm trying to do is find out a bit more of the history of this gun. It was brought up from the states by my grandpa's family. It has sentimental value to my grandma as he passed over 10 years ago. I'm in the process of building a display case for it to hang on her wall and want to include a history of some type on aged paper. Manufacturer, location made, dates, any neat facts. That's my idea any way. Some how I'll pull it together.

I really appreciate the help here. Thank you.
 
The flask is typical, better quality, patent valve.
Any trace of grease or wax in the butt trap?
May be a dumb question, but have you dropped a rod down the barrel to make sure it is not loaded?
 
Butt trap?? Google was not helpful with this. Entertaining though!
There should be a door on/in the butt plate? I will check this as well.
I have dropped the rod down and it is unloaded. I even did that before I took the pic of the barrel!
 
Butt trap?? Google was not helpful with this. Entertaining though!
!

Perhaps if you looked under "patch box" you would find an answer. Also if you join the american long rifle forum and post photos there, they can give you a better idea of the location in the eastern US where it was made

cheers mooncoon
 
I have yet to join the american long rifle forum. You guys are doing great I think. But it is on my to do list. It looks as if the wood behind the ha,,er has been removed at some point. Would a pic of it help or is that a sure sign?
On the top of the barrel there are a few (1-4) letters. The first may be an "H" but not sure, followed buy five dot's forming a plus sign followed by "Dennis" in a script font. Would this have been a manufacturer or an owner? I've giving the firearm a good oil and am building a case for it to hang on my grandma's wall. She believes it came over with family into Canada years ago when land was being given out. She has been trying to find the paper work she has for dates. Again, any help is appreciated.

And if you know my good ol' granny, please don't tell her what I'm up to, it's a surprise!
 
Ketland & Co were british (London) gunmakers around 1715. There were a number of other Ketlands in the UK and Ketland , Thomas and John in the US (@ 1797 after leaving England). Your lock would have been converted to percussion some time after 1830 roughly and one question would be was the lock salvaged from another gun or was the lock original to your gun and converted to percussion later. From the style of your gun I would say it was made in the US but can only speculate wildly as to when.

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks mooncoon. It's great to have people like you here. I've taken the advice here and am awaiting my approval for the american long rifle forum. I find this firearm fascinating, just wondering about it's path until now. Hopefully this week I can finish up the display case and get it out of a closet and up on the wall.
 
Back
Top Bottom