Does ammo go bad?

Ok, so as one guy suggested, would the rice thing really work to keep dry your powder box area?, suck up any condensation or humidity?... jar of rice with holes in the lid?.
 
I sunk a boat duck hunting 3 years ago and have been shooting the ammo which spent the day under 12' of icy water ever since. Modern ammo should be very well sealed. The only stuff I ever have problems with is antique copper cased .32 rf ammo which doesn't seem to age too gracefully. Never hangfires though, they seem to shoot or not.....
 
So far I have not had a single dud from my 1941 8x63mm. A few cracked necks after firing tho. Some of my FA 38 .30-06 ball has split on the base of the case above the rim when fired, but so far it has all gone bang.
 
i thnk dry is the key more so than cool or warm.

I have a lot of M1 ball ammo from the 60s, and some Santa Barbara 7.62 x51 ball from the same vintage, and it all works perfecttly

No, storing in a very warm location is equally bad. Heat accelerates any chemical reaction, meaning component breakdown. Cool or cold, along with dry is ideal.
 
Back
Top Bottom