Does anyone know anything about a Charles Osbourne shotgun

skirsons

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 99.4%
178   1   1
Location
Ontario
I do not have the shotgun in my possession I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about a Charles Osbourne double shotgun. It is English make and has nitro proofs.

Can anyone tell me how to tell if it has Damascus barrels? Is it safe to fire. No worries if no one knows since I don't have pics. Anyone heard of the maker?
 
Osbourne made reasonably good guns; I have seen a few around and may have owned one or two. If you look at the barrels, particularly under the forestock you should be able to see the damascus pattern unless the barrels have been blued in recent times. You can still shoot damascus guns either with black powder or particularly since yours is nitro proofed, with judicious low pressure smokeless loads

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks a million bud. This is just the info I wanted. I've seen the damascus pattern before just didnt know if there was an easier way.
 
I can add nothing to what friend mooncoon says: he is spot-on.

What I CAN say is this: you have a very nice toy and I hope you have a lot of fun with it.

One point: check the chamber depth. Some of the better English guns were not chambered deeply enough for our 2-3/4 shells. You can make the special shells by shortening regular 12-gauge and loading like that. Don't even go NEAR it with a 3-inch!
 
Back
Top Bottom