+++++ Does anyone know this thing? +++++

Miniature signal or salute cannons were popular items in the days of the Empire, especially among seafarers. They were popular fun items for actually firing, or for placing on the mantlepiece as a conversation piece.

Could be worth fifty bucks.
 
Carcass

Early from of carcass frameCenturies before the coming of the gun, incendiary missiles fired with Greek fire or similar compositions were hurled at enemy buildings by mechanical engines. Incendiary missiles designed to be fired from guns were termed 'carcasses'. The early carcass was oval in shape. Inside the frame of metal bands was a container of canvas, paper or other suitable material into which was poured a molten mixture of gunpowder, saltpetre and tallow which was allowed to harden. In order that the flash from the propellant charge would easily ignite the filling, the walls of the container were pierced with two or three holes into which priming composition and quickmatch were inserted. Later carcasses were made spherical and in the 19th century were hollow cast iron spheres. Carcasses were fired from mortars and howitzers only. The image on the right is an early form of carcass frame.

http://riv.co.nz/rnza/hist/gun/smooth4.htm
 
Ah wow. Jacques, that is something special! (the carcass, not the toy cannon). Where pray tell was it found!? As I know you to be my francophone brother, I'm wondering if you guys haven't found an artifact that General Wolfe brought with him to besiege Quebec City? The British made camp on the north shore of the St Lawrance Northeast of the City in several locations prior to the assault of Quebec. They were encamped for months rather than weeks so it leaves a fair bit of time to loose stuff/ leave it behind. I would advise a Museum Curator be informed of where it was found. ( I'm assuming it wasn't used {fired}, or has been relocated since it was left.)
 
Jacques, wtf? Where did you guys find the Carcass. I'm assuming it's British rather than French because the French weren't in the business of burning down towns when they were operating in lower and upper Canada...there weren't any that weren't French or friendly.
So; if British, taking your location into account, I'm thinking the siege of Quebec. I know Wolfe had Marines and Regulars encamped North East of Quebec City in preparation for the attack (Which occurred from the north embankment of the St. Lawrence river. South West of the walled City itself).

The French settlements in North America were not like the militaristic earthen 'forts' the British would build. These French settlements were towns, that had the ability to defend themselves but rarely had too...the usage of the carcass on these settlements would have been an effective (devastating) weapon against their citizenry and would make perfect sense to bring them.

Where pray tell, was it found? Just a general area, GPS isn't necessary. Just struck me. If nearer to Montreal, there was an old British (I'll maintain the carcass is British) Military Fort in Lachine. Either a civilian Blacksmith, or the forts armorer would have been making these in preparation for...?
 
Ah ha! What you have there IS King George II of England's property which was entrusted to General James Wolfe (1759) for the siege of Quebec. There is a possibility that the carcass' purpose was not Quebec, and rather was brought to action against Fort Niagara (July 1759, had it survived the St. Lawrence trip...which it did not, but as it's alone, it would suggest either a short round from the south river bank or an overboard loss.)
I believe in both actions, the British intent was to acquire rather than destroy these 2 extremely important French possessions.

Although Wolfe lost his life on the Plains of Abraham and is no doubt despised and disparaged by the French, he was the most promising young leader England had to offer at the time. He was influential at quelling the Jacobite rebellion in Scotland (1745) by crushing the Highland feudal clansmen (Catholic's) at the battle of Culloden which made way for the depopulation of the Scottish Highlands known as "the Clearances".

Jacques, the carcass belongs in a museum referencing the Siege of Quebec, and or the Siege of Fort Niagara (Fort Conti).
 
Weimajack, I believe your mystery object is a Georgian toy cannon, I saw a similar one (though far more corroded) pulled from the Thames mud by a mudlark a while back and it was identified as such.

A google search of the term "georgian toy cannon" will illustrate my suggestion
 
The cannon seems in awfully nice condition for the sort of age that you folks are suggesting.

I'm thinking more like a toy from the last 20 or 30 years that might have had a roll cap snapping trigger that fit into the big opening. And there was likely a small wooden carriage which rotted away long ago.
 
Weimajack, I believe your mystery object is a Georgian toy cannon, I saw a similar one (though far more corroded) pulled from the Thames mud by a mudlark a while back and it was identified as such.

A google search of the term "georgian toy cannon" will illustrate my suggestion


Thank you very much.-

Your mreference is very interesting.
 
Back
Top Bottom