Does Bore Pitting Affect Accuracy In An Antique Revolver?

cz858lover

BANNED
BANNED
BANNED
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an opportunity to purchase an Antique Status 1887 Swiss revolver. I was inspecting it and noticed some light to medium bore pitting. Most of it is in the last inch of barrel. The rifling is still very defined and appears to be in good condition though.

Do you think this pitting would be an issue or cause accuracy problems? Would you let it be a deal breaker for purchasing it?
 
You are shooting between 5 and 10 metres you should have no issues. BP pitting is typical for these antique revolvers. Not a deal breaker for me but the price should reflect condition. Welcome to Antiques
 
if all else fails, try round ball loads. They should be the least impacted by the condition of the bore

cheers mooncoon

Wouldn't round balls be inherently less accurate in a revolver? Not the proper rate of twist; too fast for a ball, most revolvers designed for bullets with a longer bearing surface?
Just a question mind you.
 
I've found that while a pitted bore doesn't really help, a damaged crown is more harmful accuracy wise that almost anything. That said, I have an old S&W revolver that someone cut with a hacksaw and I'll be damned if it doesn't shootreally well at 25 yards.
 
Wouldn't round balls be inherently less accurate in a revolver? Not the proper rate of twist; too fast for a ball, most revolvers designed for bullets with a longer bearing surface?
Just a question mind you.

The reduced bearing surface could be a benefit in less lead transfer or a detriment in less opportunity to engage the rifling.
The twist rate for a round ball would be similar for most pistol bullets because the actual projectile length isn't much different.
Even in a rifle with a fast twist round ball can work if you load it way down so it's not overspun too badly. The fun is in experimenting!
 
I've been reading that light pitting usually isn't a real issue. I just never imagined I would ever buy a gun with a pitted bore, but I suppose finding a 100+ year old gun with a mint condition bore would be a challenge.

So you guys think that at pistol range, mild pitting, even if its mostly concentrated by the muzzle, shouldn't have a noticeable affect on accuracy?
 
I've had some astounding results with properly sized cast boolits and bore that look more at home in a sewer pipe. I've posted some results in the past, and others have as well. No way I'd write off a barrel because of some pitting. YMWV of course...

But pay accordingly. Pitting still affects value.
 
Wouldn't round balls be inherently less accurate in a revolver? Not the proper rate of twist; too fast for a ball, most revolvers designed for bullets with a longer bearing surface?
Just a question mind you.

I don't think the twist rate would make a lot of difference at pistol ranges. A round ball cannot tumble while a elongate bullet that did not spin enough because of the condition of the rifling, would tumble

cheers mooncoon
 
Not an antique , but relevant . I had a Tokarev T33 that had a bore with pitting throughout , it was an amazingly accurate pistol . I stopped worrying about pitting long ago .
 
Back
Top Bottom