DOM tubing for barrels?

Waterloomike

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I read about this on another forum.

What it amounts to is that some barrel manufacturers are using this DOM tubing for barrels.

What do you guys know about that?
 
DOM tubing is a type of tubing that is made from cold-drawn electrical-resistance-welded tube that is drawn through a die and over a mandrel.

This tube is typically used for applications where you need dimensional accuracy and nice surface finishes.

Think of it as welded tubing where the welded area has been rolled so that it is dimensionally the same as the rest of the tube and invisible.

Seamless tubing (different process) is better and has no weld seam, but it a LOT more expensive.

When one considers most original muzzle loader barrels were iron and lap welded, a modern welded barrel is probably superior in most respects. I would;t use one for modern smokeless loads though.
 
Perhaps it is better than the barrels of yesteryear. And that's fine if it suits.

But I'm thinking I want the more expensive flavour.

I've seen a military rifle blow up with mud in the flash suppressor. It's not pretty.

Would you be aware of who uses DOM and who doesn't?

Is there a simple way to identify DOM barrels?
 
DOM barrels cannot be ID'd by looking at them, to tell you would need NDT such as a dye penetrant test.

As far as I know all the makers of modern smooth bores use either DOM or bored steel bar. I don't know of any using seamless tubing, although I suspect it would work admirably if it were not so expensive.

I know all the "made in India" repros use DOM. I believe Pedersoli, TOTW, Chambers, Rifle Shoppe, etc. use bored bar stock.

In either event, I've fired my share of Indian made Bess copies and frankly the barrels were fine. All three I owned passed 150% of LOC proofing charges with 2 balls packed atop the charge and continued to work well after that.

YMMV.
 
Chambers does not use DOM barrels. They use a variety of vendors, but no DOM.

For anyone with a question about this, the Chambers folks seem to have an unabashed answer that I won't share at this time.

I know squat personally. All of this is new to me.

so any opinion you think I'm offering, it's only 2nd hand at best.

I will leave the real opinions to the Claven2's and other experts of the world. I will never be an expert.

but I will be a very serious fan of guns and shooting. Especially black powder.

Once you go black, you never go back.
 
Back
Top Bottom